Conditional Formatting Not Working

deemer98

Board Regular
I set up my conditional formatting to turn text green if equal to or less than 5.25 and red if greater than 5.25. No matter what number shows up in the cell, they are always green. This cell is a percentage if that matters.

I went to another cell to test it on a simple one, but not a percentage. If the cell is equal to or less than 82000, turn to green text and if it is greater than 82000, turn to red text. It always turns green no matter if above or below. Frustrated! Please help! Thanks!

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Tell us exactly how you set up the conditional formatting.

Upvote 0
Also, check that your numbers are really numbers. For example, if they are derived using a text formula, e.g. LEFT, RIGHT, MID, they will be text values that happen to contain only digits, so will have a numerical value of 0. If this is the case, wrap your function in a VALUE function.

Upvote 0
Yes, that is correct. As Claire replied below, the cell is the result of dividing two other cells. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Yes, the number in that cell is a result of dividing two other cells. I’m not sure how to use the value function at you suggested. Can you assist with that please? Thank you!

Upvote 0
Could you post some sample data and your formula to show the problem, also your Conditional Format settings.

Upvote 0
I want cell J3:J31 to turn green if less than or equal to 5.25 or red if greater than 5.25. Each J cell is a result of subtracting cells I4 by F4. All cells display as a % if that matters.

I don't have any conditional formatting in there right now because I can't figure it out :)

This is the current formula: =IFERROR(I4-F4, "")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All cells display as a % if that matters

That could be the problem. Set up your conditional formatting to look for values less/greater than 0.0525. The percent format multiplies the number by 100 and sticks a % sign on the end - but the underlying value is actually 0.0525 for 5.25%.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hengshankouniuniu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back