Selecting different cell to what I click

GavinR

Hi,

I've made a workbook on 1 PC using Office 365 2016, and now when I open the workbook on my laptop (SurfaceBook) I am getting a really strange issue.

When I am clicking a cell it is selecting a different cell to what I click. It is not a mouse issue. For example clicking cell A48 is selecting cell A27. Sometimes it selects cells above where I click, sometimes below, although always in the same column.

If I click onto another worksheet, and back to my worksheet it resolves it temporarily, and I can click and select as expected. As soon as I scroll the spreadsheet is when I get this issue! If I don't scroll the spreadsheet it is fine, or if I use the arrows on the right hand side to scroll it appears fine. This only seems to happen when scrolling with the trackpad!

It only happens on this spreadsheet. I can open others and scroll with trackpad and click where I expect with no problems.

The spreadsheet I am having issues with is fairly simple, it has a dynamic table with a few basic formulas, and worksheet with a few PivotTables, and some basic Data Validation dropdown lists and rules.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Welcome to the Board!

It sounds like you may have some automated VBA code running.
Go to the sheet that this issue is happening on, and right-click on the Sheet tab name at the bottom of the screen. Then select "View Code".
In the VB Editor module that opens up, do you see any VBA code that contains the following line?
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
If so, you have VBA code that is running automatically when you select certain cells.

If you cannot tell why it is there, or what it is doing, copy and paste the code here, and we can help you evaluate it.

Upvote 0
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have no VBCode in this spreadsheet.

I did copy part of it over from a macro enabled spreadsheet previously, however saved this as a .xlsx and removed all code, so for all 5 sheets the VBA code boxes are completely empty.

As mentioned this is only happening on my laptop and not my desktop. But on my laptop it is only happening with this spreadsheet! So frustrating!

Thanks

Upvote 0
Not sure. Do you happen to have any Macros in your Personal Macro Workbook?

I guess it could be a driver issue or Excel issue on that particular laptop.
Does it happen only if you click on the cell? What if you navigate to that using arrow keys?
If it only happens when you click on it, it could be a mouse driver issue, I suppose.

Do you happen to have any Macros in your Personal Macro Workbook?

Upvote 0
No I don't think I have any personal macro's. How would I find out? Is it in Developer -> Macros, if so there is nothing listed in there?

Yeah the arrow keys work fine, as does using a mouse to scroll. It only seems to bug out when using the trackpad to scroll, which is really frustrating as I always use that! Once it has bugged out you can use the arrow keys to select the cell you want, but then you can't click the dropdown arrow for my list as it clicks elsewhere!

It is very strange how it only happens on this workbook though, not any other spreadsheet (which I use a lot of), which makes me think there is something I have done to that workbook. But on the flipside it only seems to happen when using the trackpad, so that points to hardware. I can't manually update the laptop as it is locked down as it is work issued. A colleague with the same model laptop is going to test the spreadsheet for me tomorrow to see if it is local to my laptop.

Thanks again for the quick replies. I get the feeling this is going to be one of those quirky unexplainable issues! :(

Upvote 0
I suspect something with Excel or the hardware on that particular laptop.
It will be interesting to see what your colleague experiences.
Let us know how it turns out!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back