Extract first value out of column range

MrFinance1

Hi,

I am running into an issue that I need your help on. What I'd like to have is retrieving the first value of identical values in one range, see my example range below:

x
y
z
y
z

Now what I want is an index match type of function with which I can select that I want the first ''y'' of this range. Do you guys have any clue?

Thanks a lot:)

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
thanks, but what if I want to have it with z as well? For example if I have a sheet 2 where I have x, y, z listed and only want to retrieve their first values in line

Upvote 0
thanks, but what if I want to have it with z as well? For example if I have a sheet 2 where I have x, y, z listed and only want to retrieve their first values in line
What is "it"? You asked for the first value that has multiple instances in the range - that's what I addressed.

Upvote 0
What I mean there is when you have a list of names with corresponding %'s such as below and you have double names, such as Tom and Joe, how to get the first % that belongs to the respective name. How to quickly do this in a formula? Because an Index Match would recognize both names and as such not a clean way to do this.

Tom 0.5%
Joe 0.25%
Brad 0.25%
Bill 0.35%
Charlie 0.26%
Tom 0.6%
Joe 0.30%

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back