Sum Identical Sheets - Faster Formula?

neodjandre

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I am using this formula to sum between dates for a particular code number. The four sheets are identical in structure (with different table dimensions). I was wondering if there is a better option of doing this, as I believe this formula slows down my spreadsheet significantly.

+SUMIFS(INDIRECT("BankFeed1[calc]"),INDIRECT("BankFeed1[DATE]"),">="&H$8,INDIRECT("BankFeed1[DATE]"),"<="&H$9,INDIRECT("BankFeed1
Code:
"),"="&INDIRECT("BalTable[@Code]"))+SUMIFS(INDIRECT("BankFeed2[calc]"),INDIRECT("BankFeed2[DATE]"),">="&H$8,INDIRECT("BankFeed2[DATE]"),"<="&H$9,INDIRECT("BankFeed2[Code]"),"="&INDIRECT("BalTable[@Code]"))+SUMIFS(INDIRECT("BankFeed3[calc]"),INDIRECT("BankFeed3[DATE]"),">="&H$8,INDIRECT("BankFeed3[DATE]"),"<="&H$9,INDIRECT("BankFeed3[Code]"),"="&INDIRECT("BalTable[@Code]"))+SUMIFS(INDIRECT("BankFeed4[calc]"),INDIRECT("BankFeed4[DATE]"),">="&H$8,INDIRECT("BankFeed4[DATE]"),"<="&H$9,INDIRECT("BankFeed4[Code]"),"="&INDIRECT("BalTable[@Code]"))

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
For efficiency, I would suggest having a separate SUMIFS function for each sheet summing their respective data, and then simply using the SUM function to add those amounts. So, for example, if you place your SUMIFS function for each sheet in Sheet1!A2, Sheet2!A2, Sheet3!A2 and Sheet4!A2, then your sum formula would simply be...

=SUM('Sheet1:Sheet4'!A2)

Otherwise, you can shorten your formula as follows...

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(INDIRECT("BankFeed"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:4"))&"[calc]"),INDIRECT("BankFeed"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:4"))&"[DATE]"),">="&H$8,INDIRECT("BankFeed"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:4"))&"[DATE]"),"<="&H$9,INDIRECT("BankFeed"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:4"))&"
Code:
"),"="&INDIRECT("BalTable[@Code]")))

Note, however, the formula is still somewhat inefficient.  And, of course, it's a volatile formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm.. I don't think I can go for the first option you are suggesting, but your suggested formula looks very neat. Do you think that would still be quicker than what I have? Or is it just cosmetically better? thank you :)

Upvote 0
Probably the latter... :) But, actually, I'm not sure why you were using INDIRECT in your original formula. It looks like you could have simply avoided it in the first place...

=SUMIFS(BankFeed1[calc],BankFeed1[DATE],">="&H$8,BankFeed1[DATE],"<="&H$9,BankFeed1
Code:
,"="&BalTable[@Code])+SUMIFS( etc . . .

Upvote 0
I was thinking of the same, but the advantage of indirect is that if you delete the sheet BankFeed2, you don't get Ref errors afterwards in the formula... :)

Upvote 0
You should still get an error, have you tried it?

Upvote 0
yes I have, no errors with indirect.. as the sheet name is stored as text

Upvote 0
That's strange, INDIRECT should return a #REF ! error, if the sheet or table referenced by the specified text doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back