What is wrong with this formula?

kafka

I am trying to create an IF/OR Function which will give a grand total if one or more of the cells contains a number and will leave the calculated cell blank if there are no numbers in any of the cells. The formula looks right to me but, instead of leaving the calculated cell blank if there are no numbers in the specified cells, it puts a 0 (zero). What am I doing wrong?

IF(OR(S8>0,T8>0),SUM(TOTAL!L4306:L4346)+SUM('2NDTOTAL'!L1829:L1869)+$AW54,"")

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
If S8 or T8 has a space character in them, they may "look" empty, but they are not.

This would ignore text and spaces in S8 and T8
IF(OR(N(S8)>0,N(T8)>0),...

Upvote 0
You might want to change the false part of the if statement to something like "False" instead of "". That way you can be sure you are getting the false result back. I know it sounds stupid but I have seen the same thing a bunch of times where everyone just thought the formula was returning the false part, but it was really returning the true part.

Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Thanks both of you. I tried AlphaFrog's suggestion and it worked perfectly. There is no way I could have discovered that method by myself.

If S8 or T8 has a space character in them, they may "look" empty, but they are not.

This would ignore text and spaces in S8 and T8
IF(OR(N(S8)>0,N(T8)>0),...

Upvote 0
Cross posted https://www.excelforum.com/excel-fo...t-is-wrong-with-this-formula.html#post5131300
@kafka
For future reference, while we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules).
This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back