Bomasterflex24

Hello All -

When I copy a Balance Sheet from a website the negative figures map over like this "(100,000" as the other parenthesis pastes to the next cell.

I then have my own formatted Balance Sheet elsewhere on the worksheet and am able to use Index(Match) to pull over the initial figures I need but I pull over "(100,000" so I just want to wrap the INDEX(MATCH) with a function that looks for "(" and if found just adds the ")" to the end of the result.

INDEX(MATCH) result = "(100,000"
Desired INDEX(MATCH) result "(100,000)"

Thank you

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
If your values are in column A, this will change the values with a leading left paren to actual negative numbers which you can format as you need.

Code:
=1*IF(LEFT(A1,1)="(",A1&")",A1)

Upvote 0
Thank you so much kweaver. Sorry for the late reply, I was at an internship last year and trying to start the good habit of utilizing forums. Now I am at another internship utilizing Excel as a financial analyst. I could have sworn I have logged in since June 5 but perhaps I did not check my replies section.

Your formula worked great! Thank you

As a non-imperative follow-up question,
How would I embed your formula with my Lookup function I used? The formula below is in cell J6.

Presented below I am able to make due with simply migrating the data across the workbook to different functions (like a car wash) which I did for a more extensive data cleaning project at a previous internship.
I am aware I will need to fully learn how array functions works to solve circular referencing or better yet, get good at a programming language, but I have heard that baby steps are needed and to be more linear in my learning aspirations. Not quite sure how to know where to embed a new function as Excel is all horizontal and not really intended to be coding which is vertical with indents where you would embed a formula to do something with a result and then have the string continue onward.
1593619863841.png

Upvote 0
I'm a bit unclear as to what you want in J6? Should it be (5000) or (1000)?

Upvote 0
(1000)
Just looking to put be able to have all the functions in one cell vs having it go through multiple columns step by step like a car wash. The step by step way is doable, just for continued logic writing improvement.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back