Sort issues with VLOOKUP

mavsounds

Hi, I'm having trouble sorting data and having columns return the correct data when I use VLOOKUP and IF statements across multiple worksheets.

A few details:

1. I have all worksheets formatted as a table because I will be connecting to Power BI.
2. Sheet 1 "DATABASE - MASTER" is where most of the data is entered.
3. On "DATABASE - MASTER", I have four columns that are using VLOOKUP to pull totals from "DATABASE - REVISED BIDS" worksheet. The lookup value is in Column D of "DATABASE - MASTER".
4. Here is my simple VLOOKUP formula =IF([@[Job Name]]="","",VLOOKUP([@[Job Name]],'DATABASE - REVISED BIDS'!A:T,20,FALSE))
4. When I sort by Column D of "DATABASE - MASTER", the columns with VLOOKUP pulling from "DATABASE - REVISED BIDS" are remaining static and not following Column D.
5. I have tried INDEX MATCH too and the same thing happens when I sort by Column D.
6. Here is the INDEX MATCH formula =IF([@[Job Name]]="","",INDEX('DATABASE - REVISED BIDS'!D:D,MATCH([@[Job Name]],'DATABASE - REVISED BIDS'!A:A,0)))
7. On my "DATABASE - REVISED BIDS", I am using this formula to return a value from "DATABASE - MASTER". =IF(tblData[@[PM/Estimator]]="","",tblData[@[Job Name]]). This is Column A. There are other columns on this worksheet that have data. The same thing happens when I try to sort Column A. The rest of the columns to do correctly sort.

Question:

What am I missing? What do I need to do so that the when I sort Column D on "DATABASE - MASTER" the columns with VLOOKUP from the other worksheet correctly sort?

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
why you tryin' do something with worksheet formula if you can do the same with PowerQuery in PowerBI ?
IMHO, mixing worksheet functions with PowerQuery/DAX is not a good idea.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back