Generate Summary Paragraphs

KrisKiel

I'm trying to design a sheet that generates a standardized summary of the results of an assessment. I've begun making formulas to do this. However, I would prefer the summary generate as formatted paragraphs, rather than as single lines as it does when written as formulas.

Here's an example of one of these formulas for a single item (with the text shortened for brevity), but there are easily going to be 100 such IFS statements.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]=IFS('Assessment Score Summary'!D20<67,"1-2 years",'Assessment Score Summary'!D20<145,"3-4 years",'Assessment Score Summary'!D20<172,"5-6 years",'Assessment Score Summary'!D20<184,"7-8 years",'Assessment Score Summary'!D20>183,"9-10 years")[/FONT]

How can I make this happen? Is this something that is achievable with VBA? If it is, how do I string multiple such statements together into paragraphs?

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I realize I might be a bit all over the place. The essential here is to have the multiple statements put together into neat paragraphs that can be exported as a PDF.

Upvote 0
You could look at having a sheet with all your return values then use a lookup function. As per the example below.
NumberResultDaysOutput
1-2
0671-2
853-4671453-4
1727-81451725-6
2009-101721847-8
501-21849-10
201-2
1849-10

<tbody>
</tbody>

The formula to add into B2 and drag down is =LOOKUP($A2,$D$2:$E$6,$F$2:$F$6)

Is this sort of what you are looking for?

Upvote 0
I was trying to keep the If True text brief since that's not so important except on the finished product. What that single formula looks like in whole is this:

=IFS('Assessment Score Summary'!D20<67,"On the DT module, overall factor score was comparable to the functioning level of a 1- to 2-year-old learner.",'Assessment Score Summary'!D20<145,"On the DT module, overall factor score was comparable to the functioning level of a 3- to 4-year-old learner",'Assessment Score Summary'!D20<172,"On the DT module, overall factor score was comparable to the functioning level of a 5- to 6-year-old learner.",'Assessment Score Summary'!D20<184,"On the DT module, overall factor score was comparable to the functioning level of a 7- to 8-year-old learner",'Assessment Score Summary'!D20>183,"On the DT module, overall factor score was at the highest level of functioning in this module, assessed to the functioning level of a 9- to 10-year-old learner.")

And like I said, there are going to be about 100 of these statements. I want users to be able to complete the assessment (which is separate from this post), and have a written report
(sentences and paragraphs)
automatically generate for them describing the results.

Upvote 0
I was trying to keep the If True text brief since that's not so important except on the finished product. What that single formula looks like in whole is this:

=IFS('Assessment Score Summary'!D20<67,"On the DT module, overall factor score was comparable to the functioning level of a 1- to 2-year-old learner.",'Assessment Score Summary'!D20<145,"On the DT module, overall factor score was comparable to the functioning level of a 3- to 4-year-old learner",'Assessment Score Summary'!D20<172,"On the DT module, overall factor score was comparable to the functioning level of a 5- to 6-year-old learner.",'Assessment Score Summary'!D20<184,"On the DT module, overall factor score was comparable to the functioning level of a 7- to 8-year-old learner",'Assessment Score Summary'!D20>183,"On the DT module, overall factor score was at the highest level of functioning in this module, assessed to the functioning level of a 9- to 10-year-old learner.")

And like I said, there are going to be about 100 of these statements. I want users to be able to complete the assessment (which is separate from this post), and have a written report
(sentences and paragraphs)
automatically generate for them describing the results.

you can use something like this where the paragraph should go
=TEXTJOIN(" ",TRUE,Y8:Z8)
and where it says Y8:Z8 you can just use the cells with the text you want to use.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back