VBA to delete cell contents based upon another

L

Legacy 48831

Hello everyone. I have been searching through the forums looking for an example to delete the contents of a cell based upon the value in another but cannot seem to get it to work.
What I have is a spreadsheet that in A15 if it is blank, I would like to have E15 to delete it's contents. If A15 is anything else then I want the user to be able to enter a number in E15, otherwise if they clear A15 then E15 clears.

The major issue is that I need this to work not only on A15 and E15 but from A15:A43 and from E15:E43.

Is there a simple method of doing this with VBA, since it would be only clearing a range within the column instead of a full column?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing. If I add any data in A16 & E16 then clear A16, the value stays in E16. I haven't tried to insert a row in this new spreadsheet since the cell is not clearing, adding a row is pointless. I must be doing something wrong. Thinking a restart of my computer may be of some help at this point.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I have replaced the code with what offthelip had posted so I could make sure it was still at least working as it was. It does in fact clear the E cell when the A cell is cleared. I cannot insert a row without the runtime error 1004 due to it stopping at
Code:
Target.Offset(0, 4) = ""

Upvote 0
Ah... oops ... a bit of a typo on my part :oops::oops::oops:

Code:
If Target.CountLarge > [COLOR=#ff0000]1[/COLOR] Then Exit Sub

The above line counts the number of cells being changed (lots when a row being inserted) and prevents the error you experienced
BUT the hurdle should allow for 1 cell being changed - for a very obvious reason the sub never kicks in if hurdle set at ZERO !!

If you want user to be allowed to clear several cells at once, then this should work without the code failing when rows are inserted
Code:
If Target.CountLarge > [COLOR=#ff0000]1[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]00[/COLOR] Then Exit Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Yongle, great news. That took care of the issue!! I was really confused as to what was wrong. I am thankful you stuck with me on this issue.
I will keep testing to make sure I didnt miss anything but I think all is well now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back