Converting decimals to years/months with negatives

Palacemad

Hi, I have some data that is represented in decimals. I want this data, in a different cell to be represented as months. For positive values it works fine, however for negatives it does not.

My initial formula was as follows:

=IF(AJ5="","",(IF(INT(AJ5),INT(AJ5)&" Years ","")&IF(MOD(AJ5,1),ROUND(12*MOD(AJ5,1),0)&" Months","")))

However, for a decimal value (in cell AJ5) of -0.67, it is returning - 1 years 4 Months, instead of -1 years 8 months.

I recognise that the formula is calculating the months the wrong way round.

Has anyone got any suggestions to correct this??

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I am not sure why you are saying that -0.67 should be more than a year's worth of months... I think it should just be -0 years 8 months. If you agree, give this formula a try...

=IF(AJ5="","",SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(AJ5,"0 ""Years"" 0/12 ""Months"""),"/12",""))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@ Palacemad:

Here is one of the ways of fixing your formula:

=IF(AJ5="","",IF(AJ5<0,"-","")&IF(TRUNC(AJ5),INT(ABS(AJ5))&" Years ","")&IF(MOD(AJ5,1),ROUND(12*MOD(ABS(AJ5),1),0)&" Months",""))

Upvote 0
@ Palacemad:

Here is one of the ways of fixing your formula:

=IF(AJ5="","",IF(AJ5<0,"-","")&IF(TRUNC(AJ5),INT(ABS(AJ5))&" Years ","")&IF(MOD(AJ5,1),ROUND(12*MOD(ABS(AJ5),1),0)&" Months",""))
While I like the formula I posted in Message #2 better, I think this alternative based on the approach you used above would also work...

=IF(AJ5="","",IF(AJ5<0,"-","")&INT(ABS(AJ5))&" Years "&ROUND(12*MOD(ABS(AJ5),1),0)&" Months")

Upvote 0
@ Rick:

I also like the formula from Post #2 better. By the way, it could be tweaked further to prevent showing 0 years -- to mimic the OP's formula output:

=IF(AJ5="","",SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(AJ5,"# ""Years"" 0/12 ""Months"""),"/12",""))

Anyways, with Post #3 , I just wanted to introduce the OP to the TRUNC function.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies, I will give those a try.

Rick, sorry yes, I don’t know why I said -1 year 8 months rather than -8 months. I think that’s the effect of sitting for over an hour trying to figure out what was going wrong!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back