Olaf Jacobs

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I'm searching for some formula/vba kind of coding to filter information given in an row.

The row is setup to represent an year and for each day (represented by single cell) there will be an short little bit of information given an letter to refer to an project and an number 0 till 24 to represent the amount of hours for this project.

Now the result I'm looking for is to gather in the first column (A) the sum of hours spend in total per row, so filter out all numbers and sum them.
And in the first row's (1 till 10) i would like to sum the letters separated per row.

job-count.jpg

I was looking in to regular formulas and nothing really worked out like i had in mind, i was getting numbers and letters split from each other but not counting up and separating them etc, so I'm hoping there is some smarter people then me here on the forum.

Regards Olaf.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
To sum the numbers
Code:
=SUM(IF(B11:O11<>"",RIGHT(B11:O11,LEN(B11:O11)-1))+0)

That's an array formula so use Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Then to count the letters
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(B$11:B$22,1)="A"))

Change the formula for each letter on each new row.

And, adjust your ranges as necessary.

Upvote 0
I Don't know what to say I'm dazzled, Thanks a lot this is working 100%:biggrin:

Upvote 0
Hi,

If you change A1:A10 to house Only the Alphabets A to J, then use this:

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
1A11111222211111
2B111
3C1222111
4D111
5E111111
6F
7G
8H
9I
10J
11162A6A12A12A12A12A12A12A12A12A12A12A12A12A12
1231A4A12A11A4
1330B6B11B5C3C5
1445E12E11E11E11
1542C12C11C11C8
1635D12D18D5
179E1E8
1927C5C9C11C2
Sheet673
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=IFERROR(1/(1/COUNTIF(B$11:B$100,$A1&"*")),"")
A11=SUMPRODUCT(--(MID(B11:O11&"000",2,99)))/1000

If you need to leave it like the way you show in your sample above, use this:

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
1Amount of "A"11111222211111
2Amount of "B"111
3Amount of "C"1222111
4Amount of "D"111
5Amount of "E"111111
11162A6A12A12A12A12A12A12A12A12A12A12A12A12A12
1231A4A12A11A4
1330B6B11B5C3C5
1445E12E11E11E11
1542C12C11C11C8
1635D12D18D5
179E1E8
1927C5C9C11C2
Sheet673 (3)
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=IFERROR(1/(1/COUNTIF(B$11:B$100,CHAR(ROW()+64)&"*")),"")
A11=SUMPRODUCT(--(MID(B11:O11&"000",2,99)))/1000

Either way,
B1 formula copied down to B10 and across as far as needed
A11 formula copied down to A100

B1 formula will Not show 0 (zeros) for cells with no data, if 0 (zeros) are acceptable, formula can be a bit shorter.

Edit: All formulas normally entered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I show you a couple of additional ideas.
Copy the formula of B1 to the right and then down.

The second formula, from cell A11 is array formula, copy down.

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:43.72px;" /><col style="width:31.37px;" /><col style="width:31.37px;" /><col style="width:31.37px;" /><col style="width:31.37px;" /><col style="width:31.37px;" /><col style="width:31.37px;" /><col style="width:31.37px;" /><col style="width:31.37px;" /><col style="width:31.37px;" /><col style="width:31.37px;" /><col style="width:31.37px;" /><col style="width:31.37px;" /><col style="width:31.37px;" /><col style="width:31.37px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td><td >G</td><td >H</td><td >I</td><td >J</td><td >K</td><td >L</td><td >M</td><td >N</td><td >O</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">A</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">2</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">2</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">2</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">2</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">B</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">C</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">D</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">E</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">F</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >7</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">G</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >8</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">H</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >9</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">I</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >10</td><td style="background-color:#b8cce4; ">J</td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td><td style="background-color:#dbeef3; text-align:right; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >11</td><td style="background-color:#92d050; text-align:right; ">162</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A6</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A12</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A12</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A12</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A12</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A12</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A12</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A12</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A12</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A12</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A12</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A12</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A12</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A12</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >12</td><td style="background-color:#92d050; text-align:right; ">31</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A4</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A12</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A11</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">A4</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >13</td><td style="background-color:#92d050; text-align:right; ">30</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">B6</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">B11</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">B5</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">C3</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; ">C5</td><td style="background-color:#d7e4bc; "> </td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b></b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >B1</td><td >=COUNTIF(B$11:B$20,$A1&"*")</td></tr><tr><td >A11</td><td >{=SUM(IFERROR(MID(B11:Z11,2,2)+0,0))}</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Upvote 0
If you want a VBA solution, this works with the layout you showed in your OP.
Code:
Sub Olaf()
Dim Rin As Range, Vin As Variant, Rct As Range, Vct As Variant, Vsum() As Variant, lastRw As Long, lastCol As Long
Dim i As Long, j As Long, S As Long
lastRw = Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
lastCol = Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Column
Set Rin = Range(Cells(11, "B"), Cells(lastRw, lastCol))
Vin = Rin.Value
ReDim Vsum(1 To UBound(Vin, 1))
For i = 1 To UBound(Vin, 1)
    For j = 1 To UBound(Vin, 2)
        If Vin(i, j) = "" Then
            S = S + 0
        Else
            S = S + Val(StrReverse(Val(StrReverse(Vin(i, j)))))
        End If
    Next j
    Vsum(i) = S
    S = 0
Next i
Range(Cells(11, "A"), Cells(lastRw, "A")).Value = Application.Transpose(Vsum)
Set Rct = Range(Cells(1, "B"), Cells(10, lastCol))
ReDim Vct(1 To Rct.Rows.Count, 1 To Rct.Columns.Count)
For i = 1 To UBound(Vct, 1)
    For j = 1 To UBound(Vct, 2)
        Vct(i, j) = Application.CountIf(Rin.Columns(j), Chr(64 + i) & "*")
    Next j
Next i
Rct.Value = Vct
End Sub

Upvote 0
Now to make things complicated :p is there a way to count colour instead of the letter like in the example ?

I know now I'm pushing it :biggrin:

Any how that i didn't figure this out, I kept staring on the simple formula's and didn't see the puzzle

Upvote 0
So back to the sheet again,

I found this handy function to count cells based on colour this is replacing the count of the letters in the array so i only heve to apply numbers in cells
Code:
Function CountCcolor(range_data As Range, criteria As Range) As Long
    Dim datax As Range
    Dim xcolor As Long
xcolor = criteria.Interior.ColorIndex
For Each datax In range_data
    If datax.Interior.ColorIndex = xcolor Then
        CountCcolor = CountCcolor + 1
    End If
Next datax
End Function
And to admit this is actually not an bad way to solve my sheet, if i can select cell/cells and set one information tag with colour and in the other information tag with an number then that should work also, cells with only numbers are easier to sum (to make the sheet dummy proof)
But now the trouble is starting, this function is not up dating the calculation, after changing or adding an colour to an range of cells the count is not changing. What am i doing wrong here ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back