Multi Column vLookup

Richard2542

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
I have a 5 column table - Column 1 thru Column 4 contain unique names; Column 5 contains a time value. I am attempting to use vLookup to search for a unique name that may appear in Column 1 thru Column 4 and return the time value in the adjacent Column 5. I have had no success in developing this formula and would appreciate some help.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Try:

DEFGHIJKLM
1Name1Name2Name3Name4DateNameDate
2abcd1-Jank1-Feb1-Feb
3efgh2-Jan
4ijkl1-Feb
5mnop1-Mar

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet9

Array Formulas
CellFormula
L2{=INDEX(Table1[Date],MATCH(1,(MMULT(--(Table1[[Name1]:[Name4]]=K2),ROW(Table1[Name1])^0)>0)+0,0))}
M2{=INDEX(H2:H5,MATCH(1,(MMULT(--(D2:G5=K2),ROW(H2:H5)^0)>0)+0,0))}

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

The L2 formula is if you have an actual defined table, the M2 formula if you just use range addresses.

Upvote 0
Heres an option:

=INDEX($E$2:$E$20,AGGREGATE(15,6,1/($A$2:$D$20="LookupValue")*(ROW($A$2:$D$20)-ROW($A$2)+1),1))

Upvote 0
Eric...this is great, thanks...is there a way to create the above solution without using an array formula?

Upvote 0
steve the fish provided a non-array formula to do that. (Technically speaking, it still is an array formula under the covers, it just doesn't require the CSE when entering.)

If you want to use the table syntax, then this is how to convert that format:

=INDEX(Table1[Date],AGGREGATE(15,6,1/(Table1[[Name1]:[Name4]]=K2)*(ROW(Table1[[Name1]:[Name4]])-ROW(INDEX(Table1[Name1],1))+1),1))

Upvote 0
Thanks so much...I just incorporated the formula into my workbook and it works GREAT!

Upvote 0
Alex89...thanks, I like this function (never used it before), unfortunately, I was unable to adopt it to solve my issue. I need to find a single value that could appear in any of the 1st 4 columns and then use the adjacent value in Column 5. Eric W and Steve the fish supplied me with a solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iparraguirre89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back