VBA beginner requesting complex (?) help

Jackkelly

Hey,
First post here and I can usually find the help I need after some googling. Today I have failed since I could only partly find what I was looking for. First I tried power query and failed but then I ended up at VBA which most likely will fix the problem for me, but I just don't have the knowledge or brain power to manage.

It might be hard for me to explain this thoroughly so I might have to break it down in clear steps instead. I am trying to automatize work that we today do manually, i.e filling in a status report document (xlsm-file, will name as document 1) with results from test cases (other xlsm-files, will name as document X) which are either OK or NOK. The result is located in Cell "E8" in every test case document. The procedure I am looking for will look something like:

1. Open first folder and check for document X. If nothing exists continue to the next folder or subfolder and check for test result document. The folder will contain several sub-folders, and all sub-folders should be searched through.

2. Copy the result from cell "E8" in document X and paste it in a specific cell in document 1. What specific cell? Well, I will get to that (follow the star*)

3. When all documents are checked and document 1 is updated with all results from (all) document X, it shall
"MsgBox "Result from all files updated"" (this part was easy enough for me).

*Regarding what cell it shall be copied to. Let me give an example and see if this makes any sense. Document x is mentioned as Result Test Case 2_2019-06-13 and is located in folder 3. Document 1 will contain a long list of test case names, so if the name of document X exist in a row in document 1, then that is the row it shall be copied to. What column it will appear in I want to be able to control based on a folder-name.
Document 1
Test caseFolder 1Folder 2Folder 3
Result Test Case 1
Result Test Case 2NOK
Result Test Case 3

<tbody>
</tbody>

What I have figured out so far is how to open and close a document in a folder (not sub-folders) including saving it, but I am not completely sure on the syntax and I am having difficulty really getting into it. Below is what I have so far but it doesn't come close to what I am after. Is below usable or should I re-do it in an easier way?
Code:
Sub OpenAllWorkbooks()

Dim MyFiles As String
    Dim Subfolder As String
    Dim ProvResultat As Characters

MyFiles = Dir("C:\Folder1\*.xlsm")
    Do While MyFiles <> ""

Workbooks.Open "C:\Folder1" & MyFiles

'run some code here, this is where I want to copy data from the newly opened excel file to the source-file

MsgBox ActiveWorkbook.Name

ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=True

MyFiles = Dir
    Loop

MsgBox "Result from all files updated"

End Sub

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Hi Jackkelly,
to chop your question up into smaller chuncks:
1) get a list of all XLSM files in the folder/subfolders, you could e.g. use this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions...a-given-folder-recursively-through-sub-folder or this one: https://stackoverflow.com/questions...hrough-subfolders-and-files-within-subfolders
2) with that list, loop through all files, and for every file, loop though the rows of your data to check if the file exists. If that file name exists in your shee, open the file, and take the value of E8.
Hope that helps, don't hesitate to post the next version of your code for more feedback.
Koen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back