Thread: Combinations
Thanks Thanks: 0 Likes Likes: 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Combinations

Hi, I'm looking for how to create a win or lose (no ties) combination in an excel for 16 teams and 8 games. I know there are 256 combinations, but how can I have this combinations listed in excel?
    Thanks in advance
    Damien

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Combinations

Try this: in column A, put the numbers 0 to 255 (a zero in A1, A2: =A1+1 , drag down).
    Next, B1: =DEC2BIN(A1,8) -> drag down. That's basically the binary representation of the numbers.
    Now you basically have your answer: all possible combinations, where every digit of the number represents one game and 0 means "team A wins" and 1 means "team B wins". You could grab the individual digits with a MID function.
    Cheers,
    Koen
    You can't post attachments here, but you can help me helping you by posting a screen shot directly in your post with any of those tools.
    Otherwise use dropbox/google drive/etc to get your file accross (not preferred). For code, put it inside these tags: [ CODE][/CODE]. Do check the forum rules.
    Finally, please show that you made an effort to solve your problem: Yes, I like to help, but am not going to do your job.

Some videos you may like

User Tag List