Insert New Worksheet

Jonathan Lee

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have worksheet 1 and worksheet 2. Worksheet 2 has formulas referencing to worksheet 1.

When I make a copy of worksheet 2 and re-name to worksheet 3, in the same workbook, the formulas are still referencing to worksheet 1.

Manually changing the formulas in worksheet 3 is tedious and I also do not want to use the find and replace. Cause it might change fields I don't want to change.

Is there a way to have the new worksheet referencing to worksheet 2 automatically? And when I make a copy of worksheet 3, the referencing changes to worksheet 3?

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Jonathan

I don't know of any way to do that automatically, other than using some sort of find/replace.

Why don't you want to use find/replace?

What 'fields' don't you want to change?

Upvote 0
Thanks Norie for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately my users are not excel users. The find and replace maybe too complicated for them. Need something simpler...

Upvote 0
Try using the INDIRECT function to look at the sheet before the current one. Find a cell in all sheets (say $A$1) that you can reference to give you the sheet number of this sheet, then use something like this to reference the previous sheet:

Code:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]=INDIRECT("Sheet"&SHEET($A$1)-1&"!Z99")[/FONT]

My formula isn't doing anything except referencing Z99 in the previous sheet. You would need to adapt this for all cell references to the previous worksheet, so it would take a lot of setting up, but should be OK once you have. Or use Replace: if you select the column(s) with the formulas you want to change, it will limit the changes to the selected cells.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Thanks Claries.

I expanded the formula as follows:

=INDIRECT(MID(CELL("filename",$A$1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",$A$1),1)+1,1024)-1&"!n19")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hengshankouniuniu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back