Creating a conditional hyperlink...

VUProf

I'm an Excel novice, so I appreciate any help anyone can provide on this. Here's the situation:

1. I have a cell on a sheet that will be either remain empty or be populated with text, depending upon the value of another cell. Let's say the text that'll appear is "Opp"

2. If the text "Opp" appears in the cell, I want the adjacent cell to be populated with a hyperlink to a web page.

3. The entire URL for the webpage will be far too long to fit in the cell (this spread sheet is a report) -- so I need to create a hyperlink that reads "Dev Link" that leads to the desired web page.

4. This spreadsheet will eventually be converted to a PDF report and I need the link remain active in the PDF file.

Is this achievable? If so, how might I accomplish this? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Daniel

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Daniel

You could probably achieve 1-3 using IF and the HYPERLINK function, something like this:

=IF(A2="Opp", HYPERLINK(longurl, "Dev Link") , "")

As for 4, not sure - how will you be converting the spreadsheet to PDF?

Upvote 0
Daniel

You could probably achieve 1-3 using IF and the HYPERLINK function, something like this:

=IF(A2="Opp", HYPERLINK(longurl, "Dev Link") , "")

As for 4, not sure - how will you be converting the spreadsheet to PDF?

Thank you! I'll give that a try. WRT the PDF, I'm not sure yet. I may just do a "Print as PDF." I need there to be some fillable Forms in the PDF -- so that may change how I convert the files.

Upvote 0
I just realized I need the hyperlink to appear if one of two (or both) conditions are met. How would I change the formula above if I needed the hyperlink if A2="Opp" or if A3<4.00? Thank you!

Upvote 0
We could add an OR to the IF.

=IF(OR(A2="Opp", A3<4.00), HYPERLINK(longurl, "Dev Link") , "")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back