Would like to sort numbers in column smallest to largest

MistakesWereMade

Board Regular
I would like to sort cell values in a single column from smallest to largest. However, I can't seem to make my code work. I would like for my column to constantly sort the column when it is updated via its formula.

Below is my code. I made an If statement so that whenever the range of cells are updated/changed, it will trigger the sorting.

Code:
Dim Val As String

Val = Range("C2:C501").Value

Private Sub SortColumnC()

If Range("C2:C501") <> Val Then

Range("C2:C501").Sort Key1:=Range("C1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes

Val = Range("C2:C501").Value

End If

End Sub

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
It looks like this code actually works a lot better. I'm still getting a debug error though.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()

Range("C2:C501").Sort Key1:=Range("C1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes

End Sub

Upvote 0
It should be
Code:
Range("C[COLOR=#ff0000]1[/COLOR]:C501")

Upvote 0
Hi again Fluff! Thanks for helping. I made the change as shown below in my code. However, I'm still getting this error "Method 'Sort' of object 'Range' failed." My excel also crashes after exiting the debugging window...

Any ideas?

Code:

Range("C1:C501").Sort Key1:=Range("C1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes

End Sub

Upvote 0
Sounds like your sheet is constantly recalculating because of the sort & therefore you're in a permanent loop.
You maybe better of running the sort manually.

Upvote 0
What if I make an If statement that checks to see if my condition is met and then will exit sub? I'm hoping that if I make SrcRange equal to my cell column, I can then run my if statement. Do you know how I can set my Dim SrcRange as a colum cell range variable? I keep getting errors for it... In Matlab, I am able to make a matrix/array. I want to do this for SrcRange and then to check itself after my sub notices a change in calculations.

I really do not want to have the user manually do everything when I could potentially program it to do everything automatically.

My error keeps saying "Invalid outside of procedure." as shown in the blue highlight.

Code:
Dim SrcRange() As Variant
SrcRange = Range("[COLOR=#0000cd]C2:C501[/COLOR]").Value

If Sheets("Formula Data").Range("C2:C501").Value <> SrcRange Then

SrcRange = Sheets("Formula Data").Range("C2:C501")

Exit Sub

Else

Exit Sub

End If

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are times when manual is best, especially if it avoids a permanent loop. ;)

Even with what you are trying to do now, every-time any cell in sheet calculates, you are going to loop through 500 cells & check to see if they match. This will probably make the sheet very slow & unwieldy.

Upvote 0
lol You are my excel God, Fluff. But what if I program it to cut the loop once, rather than at 500 reads? Say... like this for example.

Code:
Dim i As Integer

For i = 1 To 1

Exit Sub

Next i

End Sub

My script runs and the cell range is sorted. It is right after this point though that it says "Method 'Sort' of object 'Range' failed." Is this too a loop issue? I do not understand the purpose of this error.

Upvote 0
If you step through the code using F8 what happens?
Does it just restart at the beginning all the time?

Upvote 0
I was able to get it working automatically using "application.enableevents" at the beginning and end of my code. Thought I would post my solution in case anyone is looking for a similar answer to their program.

Code:
Dim i As Integer

Application.EnableEvents = False

For i = 1 To 1

Next i

Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back