How many names have a duplicate in a date range

Prinny

Hi guys,

Can someone please help with a formula?

I have a list of names in column A, and some dates in column B. I need to work out how many names appear more than once between certain dates.

E.g.
I want to use the date range from 01 to 10 June. I have those dates in separate cells (e.g. start date in F1, End date in G1).
My data would look like this:

Col A Col B Col F Col G
(Name) (Date) 01 June 2019 10 June 2019
Carrie 31/May/2019
Bob 01/June/2019
Annie 02/June2019
James 03/June/2019
Carrie 04/June/2019
Annie 05/June/2019
Bob 05/June/2019
John 05/June/2019
Dave 06/June/2019
Bob 07/July/2019

(sorry, i tried to space the data out but extra spaces are being removed).

Carrie appears more than once but one occurrence is before my date range so Carrie should not be counted.
Bob and Annie appear more than once in my date range so I would need to return a count of 2. I don't need to know how many duplicates there are or which names appear more than once. I just need how many of the names in column A appear more than once in my date range.

I would guess at this being combination of Countif and Sumproduct but I don't quite understand how to combine them.

It would probably be easier in a pivot table but it needs to be a formula in this instance.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
NameDateStart DateEnd Date
Carrie
31-May-19​
Carrie
1​
1-Jun-19​
10-Jun-19​
Bob
1-Jun-19​
Bob
2​
Annie
2-Jun-19​
Annie
2​
James
3-Jun-19​
James
1​
Carrie
4-Jun-19​
John
1​
Annie
5-Jun-19​
Dave
1​
Bob
5-Jun-19​
John
5-Jun-19​
Dave
6-Jun-19​
Bob
7-Jul-19​

<tbody>
</tbody>

E2
=IF($D2<>"",COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$11,$D2,$B$2:$B$11,">="&$F$2,$B$2:$B$11,"<="&$G$2),"") copy down

Upvote 0
Try this array formula

{=SUMPRODUCT((B2:B11>=F1)*(B2:B11<=G1)*(IF(COUNTIF(A2:A11,A2:A11)>1,1))*(MATCH(A2:A11, A2:A11,0)=ROW(B2:B11)-1))}

Array formulas
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

Upvote 0

E2
=IF($D2<>"",COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$11,$D2,$B$2:$B$11,">="&$F$2,$B$2:$B$11,"<="&$G$2),"") copy down

Thank you for your help, I'm sure this would work but I can't add the helper column to the data. Really appreciate you taking the time.

Upvote 0
Dante, thank you so much. Your array formula is exactly what I needed!

This is way more advanced than my skill level, very impressive. :)

I will need to do a lot of reading before it makes sense but it works perfectly. Thank you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dante, thank you so much. Your array formula is exactly what I needed!

This is way more advanced than my skill level, very impressive. :)

I will need to do a lot of reading before it makes sense but it works perfectly. Thank you!

I'm glad to help you. I appreciate your kind comments.

Upvote 0
Sorry to ask again but I could use some more help with this. I've added the formula to my main data but I think I did something wrong as It's not giving the correct result.

The main data is on a sheet named Tracking. Column H has the date and Column C has the names.

My start date and end date are on sheet named Stats. This formula is also in a cell on the Stats sheet. Start date is cell E5. End date is cell G5.

I adjusted the formula because my data starts on row 4 and not row 2. I just changed the end of it to -3 instead of -1 on Dante's original. I also added an IF to deal with blank cells in the range h4:h999.

The formula is now:

=SUMPRODUCT(IF(Tracking!H4:H999="",0,(Tracking!H4:H999>=E5)*(Tracking!H4:H999<=G5)*(IF(COUNTIF(Tracking!C4:C999, Tracking!C4:C999)>1,1))*(MATCH(Tracking!C4:C999,Tracking!C4:C999,0)=ROW(Tracking!H4:H999)-3)))

I enter this as an array (ctrl+shift+enter).

The problem I have is the formula is counting the names that fall in the date range but have a duplicate anywhere in the range. I need to count the names that fall in the date range and have a duplicate within the date range also.

For context, the names are customers and the dates are order dates. I need to see how many customers ordered more than once in the range. For example, how many customers had more than one order in June.

Did I break the formula?

Upvote 0
Sorry to ask again but I could use some more help with this. I've added the formula to my main data but I think I did something wrong as It's not giving the correct result.

The main data is on a sheet named Tracking. Column H has the date and Column C has the names.

My start date and end date are on sheet named Stats. This formula is also in a cell on the Stats sheet. Start date is cell E5. End date is cell G5.

I adjusted the formula because my data starts on row 4 and not row 2. I just changed the end of it to -3 instead of -1 on Dante's original. I also added an IF to deal with blank cells in the range h4:h999.

The formula is now:

=SUMPRODUCT(IF(Tracking!H4:H999="",0,(Tracking!H4:H999>=E5)*(Tracking!H4:H999<=G5)*(IF(COUNTIF(Tracking!C4:C999, Tracking!C4:C999)>1,1))*(MATCH(Tracking!C4:C999,Tracking!C4:C999,0)=ROW(Tracking!H4:H999)-3)))

I enter this as an array (ctrl+shift+enter).

The problem I have is the formula is counting the names that fall in the date range but have a duplicate anywhere in the range. I need to count the names that fall in the date range and have a duplicate within the date range also.

For context, the names are customers and the dates are order dates. I need to see how many customers ordered more than once in the range. For example, how many customers had more than one order in June.

Did I break the formula?

Try this

Code:
{=SUMPRODUCT((IF(COUNTIFS(C4:C13,C4:C13,H4:H13,">="&E5,H4:H13,"<="&G5)>1,1))*(MATCH(C4:C13, C4:C13,0)=ROW(H4:H13)-3))}

Upvote 0
Fantastic! I added this and it works perfectly.
I would never have worked this out on my own, I really can't thank you enough for all your help.

Upvote 0
Fantastic! I added this and it works perfectly.
I would never have worked this out on my own, I really can't thank you enough for all your help.

Again with pleasure. Thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back