Cell format not getting changed as per original text

mailashish123

[FONT=&quot]I have exported a list of suppliers name as aliases name in MS excel 97-2003. Actually the service provider from where i am expoting the file allows to export only in excel format 97-2003.

However, after opening the excel file it is found that few aliases name such as june12 has changed to Jun-12, august21 has changed to Aug-21. I want that june12 and august21 shall appear as it is.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]How to fix this?

[/FONT]

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Have you formatted the aliases column as Text ?
AND do it before you put the new data in, if you can !

Upvote 0
[FONT=&quot]It is not happening even i have formatted the cell/entire column as a text.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For eg: After opening the exported excel file i have changed the format of cell which contains Aug-21 to text and it has changed to 44409.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]However, my requirement is that Aug-21 shall be changed to august21[/FONT]

Upvote 0
In that case higlight the cells in question
Rclick>>Format Cells>>Custom>>in the Type box, put "mmmmyy" without the quotes

Upvote 0
Yeah it did work. After doing what you have told in your reply, Aug-21 is getting changed to August21.

The only thing is that the exact aliases name as given in the website of service provider begins with a capital letter as well as a small letter.

Will i have to check manually in the service provider's website whether such aliases name which is getting converted into Month & Year begins with a small of capital letter. Is there some other way you figure out this too??

Upvote 0
You would need to post a small sample for us to look at, but how important is it....could you not simply make them all Capitals or small ??

Upvote 0
[FONT=&quot]I have downloaded the excel file copied the whole contents and before pasting it to a new excel sheet i have made the desired column of the new sheet as text and then pasted it.

Thanks for your help!!!

I just overlooked your first comment.

[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back