Cleaning up Conditional Formatting

Hydestone

Board Regular
I've got a spreadsheet which has been very reliable over the past few years. However, recently is has become a little unstable and periodically crashes for an unknown reason. I think it might be related to conditional formatting that has slowly gotten out of hand as rows have been copied and inserted etc.

Is there an easy way to hunt through and clean up conditional formatting?

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
It sounds as though CondFrmt is the culprit. Delete all the rules and apply them again en masse across the proper ranges. In my experience all that copying, moving, inserting and deleting of rows & columns ends up creating duplicate or overlapping rules scores of times and it gets completely unintelligible, not to mention sluggish.

Upvote 0
CF take up too much memory.
It may be necessary to pass some CF to macro.

Upvote 0
Thanks folks.

I've got 20-30 people around the office using the spreadsheet, which is not macro-enabled.

I'll tidy up the CF and see if that helps.

Upvote 0
One thing I have done on some templates I have created for staff is to limit the CF to a set number of rows (like 1000), and then use sheet protection to block the ability to use any rows below that, and disabled copy/paste functionality (also through protection). That helps limit the ranges that CF is applied to, and helps keep it from getting all out of whack. As you probably already know, copy and paste will overwrite CF rules.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzzlightyear

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back