SUMIF and VLookup/Index match for consolidating Data

brees41

Hello,

I'm trying to make life a little more efficient for some of our accountants but have hit an excel brick wall.

Background: We consolidate about 7 company's financials into one consolidated financial statement. For reasons unknown, these financials are not in a standardized format so I am constantly linking and relinking cells each month. It takes about 1-2 days total, let alone if there are any revision. Here's the key issue:

In excel, the accountants will provide me multiple accounts that can be consolidated into 1. For example:

In Raw excel sheet from Accountants (Sheet A)

Column AColumn B
Cash on Hand$1,000.00
Cash in the Bank$500.00
Cash in Securities$150.00

<tbody>
</tbody>

What I'd like to do is something SUM all these figures with a criteria table in another sheet. For Example:

My excel sheet/working tab (Sheet B)

Table B
Cash on HandCash
Cash in the BankCash
Cash in SecuritiesCash

<tbody>
</tbody>

And then finally, my financial standardized financial Statement

Cash$1,650.00

<tbody>
</tbody>

Ideally with a formula like: =SUMIF(Vlookup(Sheet A Column A,Table B,2,False),="CASH",Sheet A Column B)

Is this possible with a formula? Currently I am creating an excel sheet that extracts the raw data and then I add my own columns, except as I said before these rows/columns always change.

Currently what I am doing:

Month 1 - Classification Sheet

Column AColumn BColumn C
CashCash on Hand$1,000.00
CashCash in the Bank$500.00
CashCash in Securities$150.00

<tbody>
</tbody>

Month 2 - Classification Sheet

(Assume values are the same and I don't reclassify it)

Column AColumn BColumn C
CashFixed Assets$10,000.00
CashCash in the Bank$500.00
CashCash in Securities$150.00

<tbody>
</tbody>

What I am trying to avoid is every month having to spend 5 hours reclassifying the accounts. Instead, just using a formula that references the account name (Column B) and sums it automatically.

Much help with be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Welcome to the forum.

Well, I think you need a table of accounts and knowledge about several Excel functions like SUMIFS. All that linking and manual pointing every month is a sinful waste of time.

The use of the official ExcelTable functionality is the key to your solution. This is by no means exactly what you need, but see if it sparks any insight:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.excel-university.com/articles/journal-of-acct/the-power-of-mapping/[/FONT]

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

Well, I think you need a table of accounts and knowledge about several Excel functions like SUMIFS. All that linking and manual pointing every month is a sinful waste of time.

The use of the official ExcelTable functionality is the key to your solution. This is by no means exactly what you need, but see if it sparks any insight:
https://www.excel-university.com/articles/journal-of-acct/the-power-of-mapping/

I am familiar with SUMIFS to a certain extent, but even with a SUMIF I still need the criteria to realign based on the accounts given by the accountants. Is there a way to have a sumif accomplishes the issue above?

Something like SUMIF(Column A Sheet A, Vlookup(Column A Sheet A, Column A Sheet B, 2, False)="CASH",SUMRANGE<>)?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back