Jak7217

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey All:

I currently have a formula as follows:
='[Filename - 6-11-2019.XLSX]Page1_1'!$B$4
This is pulling a piece of data from another excel workbook.
What I would like it to do is remove the 6-11-2019 frombeing hard keyed and have it pull the date from another cell in the workbook.
What I would envision:

='[Filename – “B2”.XLSX]Page1_1'!$B$4
Where B2 = 6-11-2019
The problem is that I am not familiar with what characters Ineed to place around the “B2” to actually get it to link to another cell.
Thanks in advance,

Justin

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
You need to build the reference, combining literal text strings (enclosed in double-quotes) with cells (outside of quotes), using & or CONCATENATE.
However, that would just build a string. You need to use the INDIRECT function to tell it is a range reference that you are building, i.e.
Code:
=INDIRECT("[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]'[Filename - " [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Calibri]& B2 &[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri] ".XLSX]Page1_1'!$B$4")[/FONT][/COLOR]

Note that if B2 is an actual date, and not a string, you will need to change the part in blue above to:
Code:
[COLOR=#0000ff]& TEXT(B2,"m-d-yyyy") &[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you! This worked perfectly.
I ran into another problem after implementing this. I copiedand pasted the formula over to the next day and am getting a #Ref ! error. Ithink the issue is that excel can’t figure out the file path. The reports forexample are all saved at:
C:\Users\Username\Documents\Reports
In the data tab, clicking on edit links, I see that thesource of my data is linked specifically to the 6-11-2019 workbook, rather thanjust going to the Reports folder and having the indirect formula define theworkbook.
Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I ran into another problem after implementing this. I copiedand pasted the formula over to the next day and am getting a #Ref ! error.
Does that other file exist yet?
Is it open in the same Excel session?
When you have no file path in front of your file name in a formula, I think the formula will only work if that file is already open in the same Excel session.

Upvote 0
Hi Joe:

Good observation - it only works when the excel file is open. I am tinkering around with putting the entire filepath in, but can't seem to get it to stick.

=INDIRECT("'C:\Users\Username\Documents\Reports[Filename - " & B2 & ".XLSX]Page1_1'!$B$4")

Upvote 0
You probably need a backslash after the word "Reports".

Here is how I typically approach a problem like this:
1. Create a hard-coded example of the formula I want to create (and make sure it works!)
2. Then try to recreate the exact text via formulas, i.e.
Code:
=[COLOR=#333333]"[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]'[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]C:\Users\Username\Documents\Reports\[/COLOR][/SIZE][Filename - " [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Calibri]& B2 &[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri] ".XLSX]Page1_1'!$B$4"[/FONT][/COLOR]
3. Once I get that part to return EXACTLY what my successfully working hard-coded example looks like, surround that formula in the "INDIRECT" function.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back