Sum every nth cell

Savvasy

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet with values from D3 up to AB3 and I would like to sum every 4th cell beginning from D3 (D3,H3,L3 etc..).
I've tried a lot of formulas including SUMPRODUCT, MOD, OFFSET but I always get errors and I believe the reason is because all my cells from D3 up to AB3 contain formulas.
Some of the formulas return numbers and some of them return percentages.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
How about:

=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(D3:AB3),4)=0)*(D3:AB3))

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Whether the values are hard-coded or returned by formulas makes no difference, as long as it is returning numeric values and not text.

Try:
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(COLUMN(D3:AB3),4)=0),D3:AB3)
Note that percentages are really decimals, i.e. 90% actuallt is .90. So that is how those values will be included in your sum.

Upvote 0
Thank you both for the replies.
Both formulas return a circular reference on cells E3,F3, I3,J3, M3,N3 and so on.
These cells contain a simple formula (for example the formula in cell E3 is =D3/$C$54 and the cell properties are set to percentage)

Upvote 0
If you ignore the warning, does it still return the correct value?
What cell are you putting these formulas in?
What is in cell C54?

Upvote 0
If I delete the formulas in the cells where I get the circular reference then I get the correct value.
I place the formula on C3 and dragging it down until cell C52.
C54 is the sum(C3:C52)

Upvote 0
If you are placing the formula in cell C3, why is C3 in your sum formula in cell C54?
Since you are using C54 in your calculations in cells D3:AB3, that would, indeed, cause a circular reference. You are indirectly trying to use the value of C3 in the formula in cell C3.
To me, using C3 in your SUM formula does not sound correct.

Upvote 0
If I delete the formulas in the cells where I get the circular reference then I get the correct value.

Your problem with the circular reference is the sum in C54, you are adding cell C3, but C3 is the result of the sum of D3 to AB3. Then in cell E3 you have D3 / C54, but C54 still does not happen, because C3 also adds E3 (although under the conditions of sumproduct, E3 is excluded)

Upvote 0
D3 and every 4th cell has the sales of an item per month.
The spreadsheet has 50 items so lets say for January I have 50 items with their sales from D3 until D52.
On C3 i put your formula and dragging down until C52 and on C54 i do a sum of total sales of all items for all months
On E3 I would like to get the % of the total sales so this is the reason I am using C3 in my sum formula.

Upvote 0
D3 and every 4th cell has the sales of an item per month.
The spreadsheet has 50 items so lets say for January I have 50 items with their sales from D3 until D52.
On C3 i put your formula and dragging down until C52 and on C54 i do a sum of total sales of all items for all months
On E3 I would like to get the % of the total sales so this is the reason I am using C3 in my sum formula.

To avoid circular reference you must add cell by cell:

Cell formula
C3 =sum(D3,H3,L3 etc)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back