Custom Sort - problem with a comma in an entry

zookeepertx

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all!

I'm trying to set up a custom sort in VBA, but I ran into a problem. I'm establishing the array to use for the sort and it's fine except that one of the items being sorted is called "Invoice, Commercial" and it's affecting the sort, since there are commas separating the array elements. Here's the full custom list:

"Broker's Invoice,Bill of Lading,Cargo Release,Invoice,Commercial,Packing List,CF 7501,Rated Invoice,Delivery Order,Receiving,Payment (Debit) Advice,FWS3177,CITES,NMG Audit,Checklist,CF 7501-REVISED", _
DataOption:=xlSortNormal

Also, VBA doesn't seem to want to let me wrap that long list to encompass 2-3 lines in the code. Does it just HAVE to string out way to the right or is there some way other than space/underscore/enter?

Thank you!

Jenny

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Since you know where the comma will be then you can concatenate the 2 elements and place a comma in between.
Ex with a 1D Array called Arr starting at 0:
Code:
Arr(3)=Arr(3) &  "," & Arr(4)

For X= 4 to Ubound(Arr)-1'Adjust the value of the other elements to account for this change

Arr(X)=Arr(X+1)

Next X
Redim Preserve Arr(Lbound(Arr) to ubound(Arr)-1)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since you know where the comma will be then you can concatenate the 2 elements and place a comma in between.
Ex with a 1D Array called Arr starting at 0:
Code:
Arr(3)=Arr(3) &  "," & Arr(4)

For X= 4 to Ubound(Arr)-1'Adjust the value of the other elements to account for this change

Arr(X)=Arr(X+1)

Next X
Redim Preserve Arr(Lbound(Arr) to ubound(Arr)-1)

Thank you for the quick response!

Sadly, I'm having kind of a stupid day and have no idea how to incorporate your code into what I have. (Sorts take a ridiculous amount of code!! This macro is going to be HUGE! :eek: ) Would you have time to show me where I'd insert that in my current code?

Here is what I have for that part of the code:
Code:
Application.AddCustomList ListArray:=Array("Broker's Invoice", _
        "Bill of Lading", "Cargo Release", [B][COLOR=#ff0000]"Invoice", "Commercial"[/COLOR][/B], "Packing List", _
        "CF 7501", "Rated Invoice", "Delivery Order", "Receiving", "Payment (Debit) Advice", _
        "FWS3177", "CITES", "NMG Audit", "Checklist", "CF 7501-REVISED")

ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Audit-raw data-trimmed (2)").Sort.SortFields.Clear

ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Audit-raw data-trimmed (2)").Sort.SortFields.Add2 _
        Key:=Range("A2:A39"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, _

Key:=Range("B2:B39"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, _

Key:=Range("C2:C39"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, _

Key:=Range("D2:D39"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, _
        CustomOrder:= _
        "Broker's Invoice,Bill of Lading,Cargo Release,Invoice,Commercial,Packing List,CF 7501,Rated Invoice,Delivery Order,Receiving,Payment (Debit) Advice,FWS3177,CITES,NMG Audit,Checklist,CF 7501-REVISED", _

Key:=Range("E2:E39"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, _

With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Audit-raw data-trimmed (2)").Sort
        .SetRange Range("A1:O39")
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With

Is ALL of that code really necessary? Can I replace the long name of the worksheet with just ActiveSheet? (I'd try it on my own, but I'm always screwing things up and then it takes forever to just get the code back like it was before I stuck my fingers in it) And do all of the "ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets...." have to be there or couldn't some of them get consolidated by a "With" statement? (Syntax is NOT my friend and gets me all tangled up a lot of the time!)

Thank you for your help!

Jenny

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OH MY GOD! Did I mention that I'm an idiot?! :mad: I've got the wrong section highlighted red in that last post; it's the one farther down towards the bottom that's the problem. Sorry to be confusing!

Anyway, the last part of my post is still a question - about shortening up the code.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have virtually no experience with custom sorts but msdn says you can supply an array for the list like you have done already.
What I did was to define the array beforehand and then use what I posted before.The following would be placed above what you have already
Code:
Dim Name_K() As String,WK as worksheet
Set WK=[COLOR=#333333]ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Audit-raw data-trimmed (2)")[/COLOR]
Name_K = Split("Broker's Invoice,Bill of Lading,Cargo Release,Invoice,Commercial,Packing List,CF 7501,Rated Invoice,Delivery Order,Receiving,Payment (Debit) Advice,FWS3177,CITES,NMG Audit,Checklist,CF 7501-REVISED", ",")

Name_K(3) = Name_K(3) & "," & Name_K(4)

For X = 4 To UBound(Name_K) - 1 'Adjust the value of the other elements to account for this change

Name_K(X) = Name_K(X + 1)

Next X

ReDim Preserve Name_K(LBound(Name_K) To UBound(Name_K) - 1)

and then replace
Code:
Application.AddCustomList ListArray:=Array("Broker's Invoice", _
        "Bill of Lading", "Cargo Release", "Invoice", "Commercial", "Packing List", _
        "CF 7501", "Rated Invoice", "Delivery Order", "Receiving", "Payment (Debit) Advice", _
        "FWS3177", "CITES", "NMG Audit", "Checklist", "CF 7501-REVISED")

with
Code:
Application.AddCustomList ListArray:=Name_K

To address you question about the worksheet names, if you use the supplied code then replace all your
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Audit-raw data-trimmed (2)")[/COLOR]
with WK

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try this
Code:
Dim Name_K() As String, WK As Worksheet
Name_K = Split("Broker's Invoice,Bill of Lading,Cargo Release,Invoice,Commercial,Packing List,CF 7501,Rated Invoice,Delivery Order,Receiving,Payment (Debit) Advice,FWS3177,CITES,NMG Audit,Checklist,CF 7501-REVISED", ",")

For X = 4 To UBound(K) - 1 'Adjust the value of the other elements to account for this change

Next X

ReDim Preserve Name_K(LBound(Name_K) To UBoundName_K) - 1)

Set WK = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Audit-raw data-trimmed (2)")

WK.Sort.SortFields.Clear

For X = 101 To 105

Select Case X

Case 104
            WK.Sort.SortFields.Add2 _
            Key:=Range(Chr(X) & 2 & ":" & Chr(X) & 39), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, _
            CustomOrder:=Name_K, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        Case Else
            Key:=Range(Chr(X) & 2 & ":" & Chr(X) & 39), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, _

End Select

Next X

With WK
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I made some typos: change the 4th line of code to
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]For X = 4 To UBound(Name_K) - 1 [/COLOR]
and the 7th to
Code:

As well as For X= 101 to 105 to
For X= 65 to 69

Then remove the end sub at the end

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I made some typos: change the 4th line of code to
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]For X = 4 To UBound(Name_K) - 1 [/COLOR]
and the 7th to
Code:

As well as For X= 101 to 105 to
For X= 65 to 69

Then remove the end sub at the end
Case 104 should be case 68 as well sry

Upvote 0
For X = 4 To UBound(K) - 1 'Adjust the value of the other elements to account for this change

I'm sorry - I don't know what you mean here.

In fact, I'm having a TERRIBLE time getting clear on any of this! Seemed like a Sort would be a fairly nice easy thing, but this one is killing me! To make it worse, my co-worker needs this macro ASAP, so I'm feeling pressured and that makes it harder to figure things out.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry - I don't know what you mean here.

In fact, I'm having a TERRIBLE time getting clear on any of this! Seemed like a Sort would be a fairly nice easy thing, but this one is killing me! To make it worse, my co-worker needs this macro ASAP, so I'm feeling pressured and that makes it harder to figure things out.
That was just me commenting on what that loop did and that you should replace the 4th line with code on it with that.
Code:
Dim Name_K() As String, WK As WorksheetName_K = Split("Broker's Invoice,Bill of Lading,Cargo Release,Invoice,Commercial,Packing List,CF 7501,Rated Invoice,Delivery Order,Receiving,Payment (Debit) Advice,FWS3177,CITES,NMG Audit,Checklist,CF 7501-REVISED", ",")

For X = 4 To UBound(Name_K) - 1  'Adjust the value of the other elements to account for this change

Next X

Set WK = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Audit-raw data-trimmed (2)")

WK.Sort.SortFields.Clear

For X = 65 To 69

Select Case X

Case 68
            CustomOrder:=Name_K, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        Case Else

End Select

Next X

With WK
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back