Headings Row 1 Text alignment

AlexanderBB

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Width is set to 45 and col names are centered.
Somehow I've managed another effect which I can't repeat. The names are vertically aligned so they're about 1/16
of an inch above the bottom of the cell. Not bottom, centered, or any other setting offered by the Alignment tab (Format Cells).
Any idea how I might have done this ? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Width is set to 45 and col names are centered.
Somehow I've managed another effect which I can't repeat. The names are vertically aligned so they're about 1/16
of an inch above the bottom of the cell. Not bottom, centered, or any other setting offered by the Alignment tab (Format Cells).
Any idea how I might have done this ? Thanks.

Strange you should be asking us to explain how you did something. Anyway, one way I can think of is to end your text with a Line Feed followed by a space character and then select that space character and change its Font Size to some appropriately small number.

Upvote 0
It would have been a few years ago and I can't remember what I did. And I didn't know anything back then.
I tried your suggestion but the Arial Narrow font size is already 10. The LF/Space almost centers it. (Higher than the original)
It's not a major, just puzzling.. can't format paint it to another column either.

Upvote 0
It would have been a few years ago and I can't remember what I did. And I didn't know anything back then.
I tried your suggestion but the Arial Narrow font size is already 10.
I was not implying you change the entire cell's font size, rather, just the font size of the trailing space located on the second line. You do that by selecting that single character and changing its font property (in this case, the font size). Also note that for this to work, you would have to turn Wrap Text on for the cell.

Upvote 0
Kind of have a result, it still a lot higher though. But I don't think the original (unknown) method was that. There's no LF or space and you can use the name without needing trim or anything.
A small screen shot would show you and I'm looking at your link for that

Upvote 0
Kind of have a result, it still a lot higher though. But I don't think the original (unknown) method was that. There's no LF or space and you can use the name without needing trim or anything.
A small screen shot would show you and I'm looking at your link for that
Better than a small screen shot would be a copy of the actual file so that we can look at the cell and its properties directly, otherwise all we will be able to so here is take wild guesses. If you are able, post a copy of the workbook to DropBox and post a shared link back here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back