Excel chart: group by month, cluster by department, stack by type

samerickson89

I'm sure I've got some of the terminology wrong, but here's basically what I'm trying to do. I have a table of data with three fields I want to use in a chart: date issued, department, and type.

What I'd like to end up with is months along the x-axis based on the date issued, a count of entries clustered by department on the y-axis, and each department column on the graph stacked by type. Any idea how I can accomplish this? None of the chart options seemed to give me what I'm looking for.

I tried adding a crudely drawn picture of what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to find any image hosting sites that I'm able to access from my work computer. If my explanation isn't clear enough, I can try to add that when I'm off work.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
If you could add the drawn picture it would help because right now I can't visualize what you are describing. Hopefully then someone will have an idea of how the data can be arranged to create the chart.

Upvote 0
If you could add the drawn picture it would help because right now I can't visualize what you are describing. Hopefully then someone will have an idea of how the data can be arranged to create the chart.

I'm not sure if this is going to work, but here goes.
zvxfPh2XGUvEUpQyuRGhyDiNx-Xgxh66Py0rqDV7QrLJtGPWjOfnikJYyu7gi3xwry0WWSga-MibfJtIFZPqLd8QECG3ZgknANQ0TdVcS5Nmwbi4XUXaHcBfcjP1W2q7n4HP-rFJgR0IRKq64X8U8pHiU97xB4vn9WDLOPfF_Ytn-JTYwnkMs1T7LHJBEuop2DipIvwCK1Gg6AH-o38QSCM6JtKUIXdHEgsmzg-uGLhKHtDYxHLj17pSScaZZZhKZOImZPFlo_cZPowEnm3AcqP_R32yGAdtYxrREpj1mRP4UG6lL7JPrbGyc9pd84T2rPPax-pC3clRuiAmoq9-Pf8xFTce79nviRtZFg0nSpIvvh2QjvTPjzW6rBpiB2BvEnsU_0mG3TrvhCWrIMzRfSBzSzUiDrBCCi4djoZczMEUaw8t8ZYlpszJjHE3m7RmkSOT6EuRgJb_gD1g7MxZSVaD1U5Z_4hpOakeLjIU0NRErV0XBBaFV7KmNa2hG-c_3-CS5Qs4_9Fjv640J6jxIerl8AkuK1WlenVEwzy-I-7rYCOVcTJLAiHwe05fICAFw2QYGwJfyXYRGJzVKziUGJnT-cwh_fbD_IN4B_lyzRMS09PMlXYdXEiTu0nXAXzQN9S2sHop0cn-Yp5nY-s4qFYWAKK-rM0=w1280-h720-no

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back