Indirect + cell("address"... stopped working (?)

Camel123

Board Regular
Hi,

Using the following function among others for my searchable drop down lists:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(INDIRECT(CELL("address";Forecast!$F$5:$F$1048576));'Master data'!C2));MAX($D$1:D1)+1;0)

For some reason it stopped working. I have no previous versions. 'Forecast'!$F$5:$F$1048576 I can see changed to Forecast!$F$5:$F$1048576 and is not colored anymore in the formula field. The formula works only when entering something on F5 in the forecast sheet.

Pretty urgent to solve this and I would really appreciate your support, what is the problem and how do I solve it?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
CELL("address";*insert range here*) returns the address of the first cell in the range I believe, are you copying this formula down?

Upvote 0
CELL("address";*insert range here*) returns the address of the first cell in the range I believe, are you copying this formula down?

Yes, I am! :) I removed the range and it worked, so there is no way of referring to only one range (F column in this case)?

Upvote 0
Yes, I am! :) I removed the range and it worked, so there is no way of referring to only one range (F column in this case)?

I believe if you are using
IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(INDIRECT(CELL("address";Forecast!$F$5:$F$1048576));'Master data'!C2));MAX($D$1:D1)+1;0)

It is the same as:
IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(INDIRECT(CELL("address";Forecast!$F$5));'Master data'!C2));MAX($D$1:D1)+1;0)

Regardless of whether you drag it down or not, do you need it to go through the F column as you drag, so it will see F5 then F6 then F7 etc etc...?

IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(INDIRECT(CELL("address";Forecast!$F5));'Master data'!C2));MAX($D$1:D1)+1;0)

Should do that.

I assume you are checking the F5 value in row 5, F6 in row 6, ... F1000 in row 1000 etc?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back