Find Profanity in Bulk with Formula

DWightman

Excel Experts,

I have a customer who has given me a spreadsheet of about 1,300 words they consider profane. They will be sending me a mailing list of names they want to send samples to. However, they do not want to send a sample to any customer name that contains one of the words they consider profane.

I know I could do this with a find function over and over again, 1,300 times. I know I can do this with the filter and contains function, but again one by one and 1,300 times. I don't think a v-lookup would work for this because I'm not going to have a field between the two files that is an exact match. I also think if I use the TRUE option of the v-lookup it still won't get me what I would be looking for.

Is there a way to, or does anyone know of a way using a formula or some other way in bulk to find all the names that may contain a profane value?

I hope this is enough of a description to start a conversation or get me some help. I can post more details if needed.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi, how about something like this.

Excel 2013/2016
ABCD
1list of namescontains profanity?Profane words
2feck text text textTRUEfeck
3no profrane wordsFALSEduck
4text duck textTRUEbanker
5text text bankerTRUE
6text no profanityFALSE
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2=ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(1,-SEARCH($D$2:$D$4,A2)))

Upvote 0
FormR

Thank you for the help. I do believe what you have listed will work for what I need. If I use the wizard and build the ISNUMBER formula like you show.... I keep my list of profane words in a different spreadsheet and then insert a column into my mail file and put that formula in it? Or how do I use what you have graciously provided above? Put my list of profane words in the same spreadsheet on a different tab? I'm thinking I kind of know how to use what you did.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeymonster123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back