Allocation of Expenses

Yonge234

Hello, i was looking for help on an excel doc, its basically allocating the expenses into different categories but the names for the expenses differ, is there any way i can make the names fit into these specific categories or change each name to fit the category?

https://ibb.co/rxw47zq

EDIT:
to be more specific is there any formula i can use to make it easier or do i change each name one by one to fit into their respective category

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
1. You would be better served uploading an actual file and not a picture of a file. We cannot manipulate data in a picture and no one really wants to spend their time re-creating your file.
2. You did not offer any type of information on how this should look as solved. Creating a manually prepared sample helps us to understand what you want. Afterall, we are not mind readers

Upvote 0
1. You would be better served uploading an actual file and not a picture of a file. We cannot manipulate data in a picture and no one really wants to spend their time re-creating your file.
2. You did not offer any type of information on how this should look as solved. Creating a manually prepared sample helps us to understand what you want. Afterall, we are not mind readers

I was trying to construct a mini spreadsheet along lines of what I thought might be a type of solution but have run into a problem using Index and Match.
My attempt below
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
3PI
4DATESYMBOLDescriptontotalHST%PHONEINSURANCE
51/07/2019P#N/A
Sheet1

If i can get C5 to equal F4 then i would place a fomula in F5 to pick up value in D5.
Any assistance welcome

Upvote 0
Bump .
anyone give me some reason my formula did not work thanks.

Upvote 0
Hello, thank you for the replies. I am sorry that i did not upload the file and just a picture, it was my first time doing it and i also should have been more clear about how i wanted it to look. I will make another thread with the uploaded file.

Upvote 0
Bump .
anyone give me some reason my formula did not work thanks.

Found that leading/trailing spaces caused my error and the formula worked as shown below
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
3PI
4DATESYMBOLDescriptontotalHST%PHONEINSURANCE
51/07/2019IINSURANCE
67/07/2019PPHONE
Sheet1

That may assist others

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back