Two lines of text using alt+enter for the line break: whether text wrap is checked, am I forced to merge cells?

Jennifre

Board Regular
Hello, thank you so much for the help that's so kindly given here always! :)
I want/need to do something so simple, it's got to be possible.

Whether I have text wrap selected in Format Cells or not, it seems impossible to allow two lines of text I've created (using an alt+Return) to flow outside of the standard cell width, unless perhaps I merge cells.

Is that all I can do?

Is there a secret way to allow an alt+Return to create 2 lines of text that will flow over the cell width so I can change the height to accommodate the extra line of text?

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Hello, thank you so much for the help that's so kindly given here always! :)
I want/need to do something so simple, it's got to be possible.

Whether I have text wrap selected in Format Cells or not, it seems impossible to allow two lines of text I've created (using an alt+Return) to flow outside of the standard cell width, unless perhaps I merge cells.

Is that all I can do?

Is there a secret way to allow an alt+Return to create 2 lines of text that will flow over the cell width so I can change the height to accommodate the extra line of text?

First off, forget you ever heard the words "merge cells"... merging cells almost always causes headaches later on.

Second, the way I usually handle what I think you are describing is to make the column's width much larger than what would be needed, then double click the column's right hand guideline.

Upvote 0
Second, the way I usually handle what I think you are describing is to make the column's width much larger than what would be needed, then double click the column's right hand guideline.
Sorry, that does not work as described (I was thinking of something else when I wrote that)... I am not sure there is anyway to do it short of manually eyeing it in.

Upvote 0
Thank you, Rick! Shoot... I was just being optimistic that Excel might have allowed such a thing these days. I appreciate your double-response, Rick. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back