wrong password counter

wasntme

Hi,

I have written simple date check on open in one of my files, that prompts for password when it is expired and want to add wrong password counter and will add some more code to it on lets say 3 wrong attempts, but can not manage it to work.

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Dim pass As Variant
Dim exdate As Date

exdate = "01/06/2019"

If Date > exdate Then
      pass = Application.InputBox("Please enter password")
      Select Case pass

Case Is = "yes"

Case Else

MsgBox "Oopsie"
         Application.DisplayAlerts = False
         ActiveWorkbook.Close

End Select

End If
End Sub

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Something like this, perhaps...
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Dim pass As Variant
Dim exdate As Date
Dim cntr As Integer

exdate = "01/06/2019"
cntr = 1

Do While cntr < 4
If Date > exdate Then
      pass = Application.InputBox("Please enter password", "Password please")

If pass = "yes" Then Exit Sub
         MsgBox "Oopsie - wrong password; you have " & 3 - cntr & " attempt(s) left!", 48, "Wrong password!"

End If
cntr = cntr + 1
Loop
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi sykes, thank you for your input. I have managed to get this result using case scenarios, but it is not exactly what i wanted now when i put more thought in it :) . And of course i have not formulated my question correctly.

I was kinda hoping to get counter that will not reset every time file is opened. I can use a dedicated cell in the file for this purpose, but maybe there is a way to do it in another way in VBA only?

On a side note what does this part do?

Rich (BB code):
, 48,

Upvote 0
Heh, by testing i have managed to answer my last question about 48. Learning is a wonderful thing :)

Upvote 0
Hi. Yes - you could use a spare, remote cell somewhere, to keep the number of attempts recorded (your code would need to have a workbook_save line in it, too).
One of the troubles with this kind of "protection", is always that the users can disable macros from running in their Excel application, and bypass the password "protection" anyway, so it has limited value, to be honest.
You also need to remember to password-protect your VBA project, otherwise, a VBA-savvy user can just open your code, and read the hard-coded password!

The "48" is one of the msgbox "constants" which tell VBA what type of buttons you wish to display when it shows (Yes/no, or just "OK" etc), and any other characteristics you want - like an exclamation mark, or question mark.
There's a list of msgbox constants Here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/language/reference/user-interface-help/msgbox-constants
You can select the ones you want, then add them together, and use that figure in your code - so if you wanted the red warning "cross" along with both "OK" and "Cancel" buttons, you'd use 16 + 1 = 17, instead of my 48.

HTH

Upvote 0
Ah, our posts crossed!
Yes - learning is indeed, wonderful - and what a great site this is, from which to learn!

Upvote 0
Many thanks for the info, slowly getting the desired result and learning new things :)

Yes, i have added VBA password, but indeed i am worried of opening the file with disabled macros. Any directions you can point me at to get stronger protection?

Upvote 0
You could have the worksheets you only want certain users to see, Very Hidden (so that a user selecting "Unhide" still won't see them. Then use code to unhide & re-hide them for those "Trusted" users.
That way, anyone opening the workbook without code running, can't see your Treasured sheets, but those running code can - if you choose to let them.

Code:
Worksheets("Sheet1").Visible = xlVeryHidden
Code:
Worksheets("Sheet1").Visible = True
...probably best in the workbook's "Before_Close" event, to re-hide all the sheets you want protecting, and remember to save...
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
Worksheets("Sheet1").Visible = xlVeryHidden
Me.Close (True)
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks, i have similar functionality in other files, just need to be creative using it.

Once again, thank you for your time. Hard to advance when there is no one even slightly familiar with VBA in the office :)

Upvote 0
...but the upside is, that makes you the office VBA Guru!!
Pleasure to help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarahmed1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back