solution for forgotten password to unprotect sheets.

merlin777

Office Version
  1. 2007
Hi everyone.

Seven years ago I wrote a large workbook as a favour for a friend. I protected a lot of cells to avoid accidental corruption. He has just come back to me and asked for some changes. I gave him the password but as hes never needed it he's forgotten it and my email storage doesn't go back that far!

Is there i way i can unprotect those cells without the password?

I considered cutting and pasting all the sheets into a new workbook but there are more than 30, theres a lot of VBA in the sheets and the workbook, a lot of graphics and buttons and a lot of formatting so that approach would be a mare.

Is there anything I can do please?

Can I also just say that I wrote the book, probably one of the 2 most complex I've ever done, with help from this forum and its been fantastic. It looks after all the patients and their appointments on a 20 bed hospital rehab unit and it's been used and abused every day for over 7 years and its been bulletproof. they were really grateful and its helped a lot so my thanks to the forum for your help. I spent 10 weeks there after a brain haemorrhage rehabbing .... which is why sometimes i forget things I learned about excel.... and passwords!

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
password is not a problem, but forum rules

or you can try get all data via PowerQuery

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is there i way i can unprotect those cells without the password?

As far as I know no and even if you could then telling you would at least go against the spirit at least of (and more probably directly infringe) forum rule 6.

All I can suggest is remembering that Google is your friend in these circumstances.

PowerQuery I don't think will help much because of your issue with
a lot of graphics and buttons and a lot of formatting so that approach would be a mare

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I said DATA not bells&whistles :)

I know it wasn't a criticism, but by the way post number 1 is written I think the bells and whistles is going to be a bigger issue than getting the data (especially as it can't be fully protected as the OP is giving the impression they can cut and paste although it is a bit risky cutting rather than copying).

If the OP can manually copy and paste the data then there are ways of getting the data either by PowerQuery or old fashioned VBA but the B's and W's might be another issue.

I still think Google will be the OP's friend though :LOL:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I still think Google will be the OP's friend though

at this point I completely agree
clapping2.gif

Upvote 0
Hey Merlin
because I was the creator
Unfortunately, even though you have stated it, we don't know whether it is true or not !
I'd stick with Marks suggestion.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flashbond

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back