Row height automatically adjusted without reason

lopiteaux

Board Regular
I have a small issue with a particular workbook that is driving me insane.

The workbook contains a log of personal transactions over the past couple of years. Every other time that I use it, the row height for a set of 3 rows is increased to the maximum.

The set of rows changes each time, and is usually located about a screen down from the row that I am working on. The rows are usually populated, although always with short strings (therefore it doesn't appear to be an auto-fit issue), and are often empty rows.

I used to have several macros in the workbook, but have since removed these, from both sheets and modules.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be?

Thanks,
C.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
"every other time" suggests a variable is being switched when the file is opened or saved

Have you checked that there are no macros in ThisWorkbook module and specifically in Workbook_Open (or possibly Before Save/Before close events)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you checked that there are no macros in ThisWorkbook module and specifically in Workbook_Open (or possibly Before Save/Before close events)

Yes - per my original post, there is no code in the workbook.

The original version of the same workbook - prior to me removing all code - contained several macros, some of which were triggered with 'Workbook_BeforeSave' and 'Worksheet_Activate'. But these were removed about a year ago.

I completely agree with your suspicion though... I've checked the objects so many times to confirm that there are no such macros, to the point where I feel like I'm going crazy!

Upvote 0
We have all been there!
Does the workbook have extension .xlsx ?

Upvote 0
Save it as .xlsx and seeing if the same thing happens

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll try. It usually takes a while for the issue to occur, so if any other suggestions, please feel free.

Can I ask, why do you think that this will resolve the issue? It was most certainly there before, when the workbook was an .xlsm, and I wouldn't be too surprised if the workbook was an .xlsx at some stage.

Upvote 0
Can I ask, why do you think that this will resolve the issue?
Because, in your first post, you said... " Every other time that I use it, the row height for a set of 3 rows is increased to the maximum "

However, in you last post you are said " It usually takes a while for the issue to occur ", so suspect it will make no difference whatsover :)

I have always found Excel a bit stubborn after row heights have been tinkered with!
A old legacy instruction is somehow being triggered. Quickest way I have found to resolve everything:
- create a new sheet
- format new sheets as required
- copy & paste values from original sheet
- delete original sheet

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A old legacy instruction is somehow being triggered. Quickest way I have found to resolve everything:
- create a new sheet
- format new sheets as required
- copy & paste values from original sheet
- delete original sheet

This was my thinking too... It might be safest to re-create the entire workbook, and start afresh.

Thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back