Dependant drop down list

Russk68

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi All

I'm wondering if this is possible and if so I would greatly appreciate help with it.

I'm working between 2 sheets and I will use a Hotel as an example.

Sheet 1 has 2 columns, Floor# and Name.
Sheet 2 has 21 columns. The first column is the Floor#, the next 20 columns are names of people on that floor. Let's say there's 50 floors (Rows).

My goal is, to select a Floor# (A1) on Sheet 1 (already in a dropdown list) and then select (B1) a name from a dropdown list but the list only contains the names of people on that floor.
Hop
Can a formula or VB do this?

Thank you!

Russ

Hi Akuini

That fixed it!
Would you be so kind to help me with 1 more fix?

In Sheet1, column B is the floor# and column C is the persons name. Column D is other information. I would like to clear the row in column C & D when the floor# is removed.

This would be great.

Thank you!!!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hi Akuini

In Sheet1, column B is the floor# and column C is the persons name. Column D is other information. I would like to clear the row in column C & D when the floor# is removed.

OK, add this code to the sheet1 code window:

Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] Worksheet_Change([COLOR=Royalblue]ByVal[/COLOR] Target [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range)
[I][COLOR=seagreen]'change both Range("B2:B10") below to suit[/COLOR][/I]

[COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Not[/COLOR] Intersect(Target, Range([COLOR=brown]"B2:B10"[/COLOR])) [COLOR=Royalblue]Is[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Nothing[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] c [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range
    [COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Each[/COLOR] c [COLOR=Royalblue]In[/COLOR] Intersect(Target, Range([COLOR=brown]"B2:B10"[/COLOR]))
        [I][COLOR=seagreen]'clear the row in column C & D when the floor# (col B) is removed.[/COLOR][/I]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] Len(c.Value) = [COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR] c.Offset(, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR]: c.Offset(, [COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR][/FONT]

Note:
If you have ~1000 item of floor then I suggest for the data validation of floor (sheet1 col B) you use a searchable combobox instead of data validation, because selecting from ~1000 items is difficult.
You can find an example of a searchable combobox in this thread:
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1089693-data-entry-force-selection.html

Upvote 0
That works great!

This has greatly improved my productivity.

Also, commenting the link to this post is brilliant! I will be doing that for now on.

Thank you very much for your time. It is greatly appreciated!!!

Russ

Upvote 0
You're welcome, glad to help, & thanks for the feedback.:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back