VBA code to hide/unhide rows that have a "1" in column A - 32 sheets

Jason44136

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings - I have learned a lot over the years from reviewing these threads. I'm hoping someone can assist. I have a workbook with 33 sheets. Two summary sheets and 31 data sheets. The first sheet "Monthly" has data within that will be changed regularly. All other sheets have an A column that has formulas built to show a "1" if criteria determines the row should be hidden. The "Monthly" tab also has an A column that is blank and will NOT be impacted by the VBA (as it shouldnt) because there is no "1" in column A anywhere.

I found the below code which does work, but it takes multiple minutes to run. Does anyone have a different suggestion on code to quickly hide all rows with a "1" in column A for all sheets?

(There are only 60 rows per sheet)

Sub doStuff()
Dim i As Worksheet, myLoop As Long
For Each i In Worksheets
With i
For myLoop = 1 To 100
If .Cells(myLoop, "A").Value = 1 Then
.Rows(myLoop).Hidden = True
Else
.Rows(myLoop).Hidden = False
End If
Next myLoop
End With
Next i
End Sub

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
If your formula outputs either 1 or the empty text string (""), then this macro should work for you...
Code:
Sub HideRowsIfOneInColumnA()
  Dim Sh As Worksheet
  For Each Sh In Worksheets
    Sh.Columns("A").SpecialCells(xlFormulas, xlNumbers).EntireRow.Hidden = True
  Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you Rick. Unfortunately, this did not work. I get the following Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error

Upvote 0
Thank you Rick. Unfortunately, this did not work. I get the following Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error
I think I know what the problem is and it is my fault. See if this code works correctly for you...
Code:
  Dim Sh As Worksheet
  On Error Resume Next
  Next
  On Error GoTo 0
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you again Rick. This does work. One additional request - Is there a way to add code that will unhide rows or rehide as the user changes the cells that trigger a "1" or "" in column A? This does not seem to work with the current code.
Your time and help is very much appreciated!!

Upvote 0
Thank you again Rick. This does work. One additional request - Is there a way to add code that will unhide rows or rehide as the user changes the cells that trigger a "1" or "" in column A? This does not seem to work with the current code.
I think this code may do what you want...
Code:
  Dim Sh As Worksheet
  On Error Resume Next
    Sh.Rows.Hidden = False
  Next
  On Error GoTo 0
End Sub

Upvote 0
I spoke too soon. Unfortunately, when changes are made to the source data on the "Monthly" tab. The other tabs are not updating. I can only get it to work when I click on the run sub play button in the VBA code screen.

I wouldn't be opposed to making this a macro with a command button if that is easier to command all the sheets to update upon click of the button. Any other insight or guidance to make either option work?

Upvote 0
I wouldn't be opposed to making this a macro with a command button if that is easier to command all the sheets to update upon click of the button. Any other insight or guidance to make either option work?
First off, you can run any macro from any worksheet by pressing ALT+F8 (select the macro name from the list and click the Run button.

If you want to run the macro from a CommandButton, put one on the worksheet of your choice and assign my macro to it. If you need help with this part, tell us what kind of CommandButton you used (Forms or ActiveX).

Upvote 0
Thank you again. I did create a FORM commandButton (I believe). I used your Macro and it worked great until I protected all sheets with the password Hskp19
In order to be able to click the button on the protected sheet, i added code I found in these forums to unprotect and reprotect the sheet. When doing this, I get an error that the password is wrong, but it is not wrong (checked case sensitivity, etc).
Here is my current code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password = Hskp19
Dim Sh As Worksheet
On Error Resume Next
Sh.Rows.Hidden = False
Next
On Error GoTo 0
ActiveSheet.Protect Password = Hskp19
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gb24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back