The Purpose of ">1" in this Function

isadoko

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Am looking for, but cannot find a explanation for the role of the number one in this function:

=IF(A2>1,A2+C2,"")

Column A contains dates, 01/01/19
Column C contains numbers, 13,16,20,21

The end result if a calculated date. But, I was not told what purpose the ">1" in the function serves and author gone.

Would appreciate your help as searching has so far failed to return an answer. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hi,

I think it is checking if Column A contains a Date or not, if it contains date then it adds A and C.

Upvote 0
I think you are right. I tried different values and whether 0 or 1 or 2, etc, gave returned a date. As well A2<>"", returned a date. Finally, =IF(NOT(ISBLANK(A2)),A2+C2," "). Many thanks the help.

Upvote 0
Excel (and VBA code also) stores dates as floating point numbers... the whole number represents the number of days offset from "date zero" while the fractional part represents the time as a fraction of a 24-hour day. If your cell is less than zero, then one of three possibilities exist... the cell is empty, the cell contains 0 or the cell contains a time value only (no date). Your formula is making sure there is an actual date (with or without an associated time value) in the cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back