Hanging, Not Responding

PatP3005

I'm sure you've seen this subject before but I am pulling out my hair. Excel is getting worse and worse at hanging while I'm using it. I'm using Office 365 with a Windows 10 PC, stand-alone. I'm also using OneDrive and just a hunch that it is playing a part in what's going on. BUT it will also hang when I'm working on a file that's only on my hard drive, just not as often.

Specifically, here is what it is doing. I'm working on a file (not just one specific file, any xlsx file). I enter data and go to another cell to enter more data. Excel is frozen at this point and won't accept any mouse click or key entry. The bar at the top of the screen says the file name followed by ...saving. And it stays ...saving for five minutes (approx). After it un-freezes, I enter another cell, then same thing. It's becoming impossible to get any work done.

I've tried all of the methods suggested here: (https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-working-37e7d3c9-9e84-40bf-a805-4ca6853a1ff4). The one where you safe boot is hard to tell because it isn't a constant problem. How long am I supposed to work with a limited computer while I test their problem out. (sorry I am SO frustrated)

I don't know what else to try. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or questions. I appreciate any help available. Thanks.

It is less than 5 minutes after my last post and the file has hung again. I'm out of ideas. Any and all help greatly appreciated.

P.S. A thought - I usually have multiple .xlsx files open at once. Occasionally, if I type in one file and hit tab or enter, the screen will 'flip' to a different open .xlsx file. I've always assumed I accidentally hit some shortcut key, but maybe not? I just closed all other worksheets except the one I'm working on. We'll see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back