SUM formula with dynamic divisor

leopardhawk

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi friends, I'm not sure if this is possible or not. Need a formula to SUM a column that could have five entries or it could have 500 entries. I also need it to divide the total by the exact number of entries and it needs to be dynamic, ie. someone enters a new amount in the column and the formula will not only add that amount to the total but will add '1' to the divisor at the same time.

Example:

Code:
=IF(G12:G20=0,"",SUM(G12:G20)/8)

So if there is $12.00 in cell G12, $13.00 in G13, $14.00 in G14 and so on up to G19 the formula as it is would return $15.50.

The part I'm not sure about is the dynamic application of an increasing divisor. If the user enters $20.00 in cell G20, the divisor would automatically increase by 1 and now divide the total by 9 and return $16.00.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Cheers!

I think it depends on what version of Windows you're on. There seems to be an issue with some of the newer Windows, they changed how they process some things. Supposedly if you close any open Windows File Manager folders, it might work. That actually does work for me, but I might be using a different HTML tool. You can try going to the test forum and post a message, and see if that helps.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwindels

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back