SUM formula with dynamic divisor

leopardhawk

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi friends, I'm not sure if this is possible or not. Need a formula to SUM a column that could have five entries or it could have 500 entries. I also need it to divide the total by the exact number of entries and it needs to be dynamic, ie. someone enters a new amount in the column and the formula will not only add that amount to the total but will add '1' to the divisor at the same time.

Example:

Code:
=IF(G12:G20=0,"",SUM(G12:G20)/8)

So if there is $12.00 in cell G12, $13.00 in G13, $14.00 in G14 and so on up to G19 the formula as it is would return $15.50.

The part I'm not sure about is the dynamic application of an increasing divisor. If the user enters $20.00 in cell G20, the divisor would automatically increase by 1 and now divide the total by 9 and return $16.00.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Cheers!

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
How would that work? I only want the average of the cells in column G that actually have data in them. If there are 50 cells with data, then the formula would divide by 50. I there are 100 cells with data in them then the formula would divide by 100. The formula needs to be dynamic and adjust the divisor as users add additional cells in column G.

Upvote 0
That does not work either. It is including cells that are empty in the 'average'. I need the formula to average only those cells in column G that actually have data in them.

Assume that the example below is what I am trying to solve. I need the formula to divide by 6 because there are only six cells with data. If I use 'AVERAGE' as suggested, then how do I exclude the cells that do NOT have data in them from the calculation?

Excel 2016 (Windows) 32 bit
GHI
12$ 12.00$14.50
13$ 13.00
14$ 14.00
15$ 15.00
16$ 16.00
17$ 17.00
18$ -
19$ -
20$ -
payroll
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I12=IF(G12:G20=0,"",SUM(G12:G20)/6)

Upvote 0
18/19/20 are not empty; they contain 0, which is a number.

If you want to exclude zeros,

=AVERAGEIF(G:G, "<>0")

Upvote 0
shg, one follow-up question. Do you know why my 3:30 PM post above is showing all that hexadecimal stuff when in the PREVIEW, it looks perfect. I am using 'Forum Tools' in Excel 2016 (recommended by this forum) to add to my post. Sometimes it work and other times I get all that gibberish. Frustrating at best.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back