Extracting values from a serialized array without delimiters

andrew_milonavic

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a form on my website that I use in an nontraditional manner. Users return to update and save the form but it is never submitted.

The problem is the form saves the data in a serialized array without delimiters inside a single MySQL table column. See table image: https://imgur.com/a/tvnDN4v

So far I have not be able to query the values directly and I have tried exporting the table using all combinations of line separators, enclosed string and field separators to make the data usable.

Is there an excel formula (Preferably not a VBA, but if that's the only option than so be it.) that can extract the values into columns? If there is a SQL expert among the Excel users I'm open to a SQL query as well. Bottom line is I just need the values separated in columns, I can add column headers after the fact as they are not identifiable in the array. I can add an extra form field too that adds the users_id so associating the data with a specific users is a non issue as well.

Thoughts?

Here is the value string with dummy data:
Code:
[{"value":"Test-Data-1","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":2,"id":11,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-2","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":12,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-3","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":24,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-4","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":25,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-5","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":13,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-6","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":17,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-7","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":18,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-8","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":58,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-9","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":59,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-10","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":60,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-11","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":61,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-12","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":62,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-13","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":63,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-14","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":64,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-15","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":19,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-16","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":1,"id":20,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-17","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":1,"id":23,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-18","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":26,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-19","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":3,"id":27,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-20","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":2,"id":28,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-21","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":30,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-22","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":3,"id":31,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-23","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":2,"id":29,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-24","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":33,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-25","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":3,"id":34,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-26","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":2,"id":32,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-27","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":1,"id":36,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-28","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":2,"id":35,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-29","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":2,"id":38,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-30","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":37,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-31","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":3,"id":40,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-32","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":2,"id":39,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-33","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":43,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-34","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":1,"id":41,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-35","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":2,"id":42,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-36","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":44,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-37","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":45,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-38","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":46,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-39","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":47,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-40","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":48,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-41","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":49,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-42","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":50,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-43","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":51,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-44","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":52,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-45","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":53,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-46","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":54,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-47","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":95,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-48","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"default":"","textarea_rte":"","disable_rte_mobile":"","textarea_media":"","id":159,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-49","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"default":"","textarea_rte":"","disable_rte_mobile":"","textarea_media":"","id":155,"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-50","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"default":"","custom_name_attribute":"","personally_identifiable":"","cellOrder":2,"id":71,"isUpdated":true},{"value":["Test-Data-51","Test-Data-52","Test-Data-53"],"clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":70,"selected":[],"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-54","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"default":"","custom_name_attribute":"","personally_identifiable":"","cellOrder":2,"id":74,"isUpdated":true},{"value":["Test-Data-55","Test-Data-56"],"clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":72,"selected":[],"isUpdated":true},{"value":"Test-Data-57","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"default":"","custom_name_attribute":"","personally_identifiable":"","cellOrder":2,"id":78,"isUpdated":true},{"value":[" Test-Data-58"],"clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"id":76,"selected":[],"isUpdated":true}]

Thanks

Andrew

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hey,

Do you want each set of braces { } set in to a column? So if the string you sent is in A1, then A2 might be:

{"value":"Test-Data-1","clean":false,"visible":true,"invalid":false,"cellOrder":2,"id":11,"isUpdated":true}

etc? Then A3 will be the 2nd { } brace - then we can work on breaking it down further.

Upvote 0
Hey Tyija1995,

Thanks for the fast reply!

I'd just like the values, i.e Test-Data-1 in A1, Test-Data-2 in A2 etc etc, but if it needs several step to get there and helper columns that's fine.

I'm not sure if that answers your question?

Thanks

Andrew

Upvote 0
I have used a few helper columns here for this.

With the original string in cell A1 try these formulae:

A2:
Code:
SEARCH("|¬",SUBSTITUTE($A$1,CHAR(123),"|¬",ROW()-1))

Drag that down to A56.

B2:
Code:
MID($A$1,A2,A3-A2-1)

Drag that down to B55.

Set B56 as:
Code:
=MID($A$1,A56,999)

Now in C2:

C2:
Code:
SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(B2,CHAR(58),REPT(" ",LEN(B2))),(2-1)*LEN(B2)+1,LEN(B2))),CHAR(44),REPT(" ",LEN(B2))),LEN(B2)),CHAR(34),""),CHAR(91),""),CHAR(93),"")

Drag that down to C56.

C2-C56 should then output "Test-Data-#"

Let me know if it works.

Upvote 0
Hey Tyija1995,

WOW, that works. It extracts the values!!!

Will it work the same if I scale horizontally? i.e So all the original string will be in A1 and the helper formulas and results in B1, B2, B3 etc etc.. Possible?

I really appreciate the help!!!

Thanks

Andrew

Upvote 0
Hey Tyija1995,

WOW, that works. It extracts the values!!!

Will it work the same if I scale horizontally? i.e So all the original string will be in A1 and the helper formulas and results in B1, B2, B3 etc etc.. Possible?

I really appreciate the help!!!

Thanks

Andrew

Glad it worked!! I believe it is possible, but as I spanned 55 rows (2:56) then 55 columns will need to be spanned (B:BD) - is this ideal? I would think vertically would be easier. But I can take a look at setting it up horizontally if you want.

Upvote 0
Hey Tyija1995,

If possible horizontal would be best. I don't mind it spanning B:BD, or further if needed. I'm basically going to make this a calculator to extract the data and then move the return values to another excel file where I'll have the forms headers etc etc.

Thanks!!!!

Andrew

Upvote 0
Hey Tyija1995,

If possible horizontal would be best. I don't mind it spanning B:BD, or further if needed. I'm basically going to make this a calculator to extract the data and then move the return values to another excel file where I'll have the forms headers etc etc.

Thanks!!!!

Andrew

Alright, I have used columns B:BD to do this (original string remains in cell A1 and is the only entrant in column A)

B1:
Code:
SEARCH("|¬",SUBSTITUTE($A$1,CHAR(123),"|¬",COLUMN()-1))

Drag across to BD1.

B2:
Code:
MID($A$1,B1,C1-B1-1)

Drag across to BC2.

BD2:
Code:
MID($A$1,BD1,999)

Finally, B3:

B3:
Code:
SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(B2,CHAR(58),REPT(" ",LEN(B2))),(2-1)*LEN(B2)+1,LEN(B2))),CHAR(44),REPT(" ",LEN(B2))),LEN(B2)),CHAR(34),""),CHAR(91),""),CHAR(93),"")

Drag that across to BD3.

Hope that solves it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Tyija1995,

I'm really sorry, I meant all on one row. I got my brain jumbled when I said B1, B2, B3.. I meant B1, C1, D1 etc etc.. I understand it will scale further across. Is this possible?? I'm really sorry to waste your time.

Thanks

Andrew

Upvote 0
Hey Tyija1995,

I used your previous multi row formula and then just cut and paste to put it on a single line. Problem solved!!!

I really appreciate your help. It's perfect!!!

Thanks again

Andrew

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back