Excel Template how to

HHoward1984

I got a bit bored at work today and decided to took at the standard templates in excel to see if i could pick up any new tips and tricks. I downloaded this one created by Mircosoft but there is something in it that i cannot work how they have done it

https://templates.office.com/en-us/Simple-personal-budget-TM04035483

on the 'PERSONAL BUDGET' tab it is broken down into categories and at the bottom of each category there is a total. when you go into the total there is a drop down list where you can change the function of the subtotal formula in the cell. Now i know how to achieve the same effect using vlookups and data validation but from the formula you can tell that that is not what they have done. The data validation on the total line is greyed out but the cells don't appear to be locked and the sheet isn't shared so i can't work out how they have achieved this. There are no Macros running or anything else.

whatever method they have used for this it is super tidy so i would like to be able to replicate it.

Any help you can give would be fab

Holly

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
It is a table with a total row. Select anything that looks like a table and then click the Format as Table button on the home tab. Once you've done that, you can turn on the total row (Table tools tab on the ribbon) to get what you describe. Tables have lots of other advatages: https://jkp-ads.com/Articles/Excel2007Tables.asp

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back