using "<>" (not equal to) as part of COUNTIFS

DisnerdBree

I'm having a very specific problem and I'm hoping somebody here can put me out of my misery!!

I have this COUNTIFS in place which does exactly what it needs to...

=COUNTIFS(C$5:C$66,"AM",D$5:D$66,"Please Select")

which is counting on a team calendar to show how many AM slots (in column C) are unassigned - which is shown by the corresponding drop down in column D still being "please select"

7W1w5Na.jpg

To help aid with an overall summary page, I need to add an additional criteria so that it only counts the above where a trainers name has been selected (cell C4 in above screenshot)- aka. it doesn't show as unassigned slots where there isn't a trainer selected!

Here is where I have an issue - every time I add the additional criteria - C4,"<>Select trainer" - it brings back a #VALUE ! error

I've checked the criteria as a stand alone =COUNTIFS(C4,"<>Select trainer") and it works as expected (see screenshot below)

B1V9ctG.jpg

But when I try and combine it all into one COUNTIFS formula =COUNTIFS(C$5:C$66,"AM",D$5:D$66,"Please Select",C4,"<>Select trainer") it brings back the #VALUE ! error (below screenshot). I've tried building it in every possible order - I've googled the life out of it but all I'm finding is to use =COUNTIFS(Range,"<>Criteria")

PweM0aE.jpg

I can only assume that, for whatever reason, Excel doesn't like the composition of the formula when combining the two types of function (a mix of criteria equals and criteria does not equal)

Can anyone help?

PLEASE NOTE: I'm building this entirely as a favour for a friend, and have been asked to idiot proof it so that it can't be broken once they hand it off; the various teams that will use it all have a different number of team members and I have been told they can't be trusted to just delete any leftover trainer columns - otherwise I would just do that

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
All the ranges in a COUNTIFS formula need to be the same size. All you really need is to add an IF clause:

=IF(C4<>"Select trainer",COUNTIFS(C$5:C$66,"AM",D$5:D$66,"Please Select"),"")

for example.

Upvote 0
Glad to help, and welcome to the forum! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back