Data Validation for Equations in a Table

sc345908

Hello,

I am looking for some assistance. I have a table that auto-populates from a second table using equations once the first cell is populated. However people are going in and pasting over the equations and I was hoping to use data validation to prevent this from happening. I cannot protect the sheet because every time I try that, I cannot add new rows.

Thanks!!

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hi there. If it is row insertion thats the issue, you can allow row insertion on protected sheets. When you click protect sheet, there are a number of options you can select, one of with is 'Insert Rows'. Sheets protected this way allow rows to be inserted, the new row will inherit its formats, including protected cells, from the row above. Personally, I often check the 'Use Autofilter' option. You would need to be careful about ticking too many of them though otherwise your protected sheet will become almost unprotected!

Upvote 0
Hi jmacleary,

Unfortunately I cannot protect the worksheet as the sheet is formatted as a table. When it is formatted as a table, when protected, you cannot insert rows, even if it unchecked.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Best

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back