Index/Match - Search Table and then search column

kobe_beef_14

I'm running into a bit of a problem trying to do a lookup whereby I search for a specific table (with its own named range) and then a column within that table which corresponds to a row. Here's an analogy to make it a lot easier to understand:

I'm a teacher with a grade workbook. I have different sheets (Tests, Homework, etc.) and within each sheet are individual tables, which correspond to a specific assignment. Within "Tests," I might have individual tables named "Test 1/1," "Test 1/31" and so on. Each table also has its own named range (e.g.: Test_Jan_One).

I want to to be able to compare students' scores on each assignment, so I have a sheet named "Compare Tool." On it, there are three dropdowns: Two are the students in the class (identical, and each corresponds to a named range like "Class_Roster." In the third dropdown search I have a dropdown of ALL assignments. To make it easier, I've added a helper sheet that simply lists out all of the tests/homeworks/etc. into its own named range.

In theory, I could first select a single assignment from the dropdown, then select two students from the other two dropdowns, and then compare their scores from that assignment. I've tried using a double lookup, but quickly realized that I'm not exactly searching two columns, but rather over many tables (~15 or so) and then for data within a specific table.

In summary, Index/Match whereby I first match an entire table (that has its own named range) and then within that table, I can then match the students to their scores.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I've made a simple mockup.
name range: Col A:B test1, D:E test2 & G:H test3
with the 3 dropdown for test & 2 students.

will that work for you?

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKL
1Student 150Student 155Student 160Student 3Student 4
2Student 260Student 265Student 270TEST27585
3Student 370Student 375Student 380
4Student 480Student 485Student 490
5Student 590Student 595Student 5100
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
K2=VLOOKUP(K$1,INDIRECT($J2),2,0)
L2=VLOOKUP(L$1,INDIRECT($J2),2,0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back