Code to move data from one spreadsheet to another

Woofy_McWoof_Woof

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I'm trying to move data from one spreadsheet to another (instead of using a copy and paste code which uses too much memory). I'm trying to reduce a 70MB file down to something more manageable and think removing the copy and paste function will help a lot.

In workbook "Book1" I'm trying to move data from sheetx to sheety in workbook "Book2" however I'm getting the nasty debug error (runtime error 9)

Windows("Book1.xlsx").Activate
Sheets("Sheetx").Range("B10:AX5000").Copy Destination:=Windows("Book2.xlsx").Activate.Sheets("Sheety").Range("A2:AX5000")

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Woof

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Try
Code:
Sheets("Sheetx").Range("B10:AX5000").Copy Destination:=workbooks("Book2.xlsx").Sheets("Sheety").Range("A2")

Upvote 0
Thanks for this, but I'm still getting the run time error. I'm assuming that it could be that the macro is saved in "Book2" rather than "Book1", apologies for not mentioning that. I need to pull the data into book2 rather than push it from book1 (as I will be replicating the code several times for several different sheets). Will that make a difference to the code?

Upvote 0
What is the error message that you get?

Upvote 0
Windows("Book1.xlsx").Activate
Sheets("Sheetx").Range("B10:AX5000").Copy Destination:=Windows("Book2.xlsx").Activate.Sheets("Sheety").Range("A2:AX5000")
If your macro is in Book2, then the extension cannot be xlsx since this type of file prohibits macros. I would presume that it is xlsm. I suggest changing the extension and seeing if that solves your problem

Upvote 0
That error signifies that one of the workbook names (including extension) or sheet names is wrong.

Upvote 0
Perfect, it works. I'll replicate it for the other tabs and hopefully it will reduce the memory size of the file. Thanks very much for your help :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back