VBA script for conditional copy, format & paste from workbook1 to workbook2

writetoevv

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
In workBook1, i have five columns (A,B,C,D,E) with data. Here, each row is a separate record & is going have unique data.
sample data is given below.

A B C D E
1 Q1 A1 A2 A3 A4
2 Q2 B1 B2 B3 B4

In workBook1, when i execute a VBA script , the following needs to done sequentially.
1. First, create a new workbook (for example workbook2). and, steps 2 to 6 should be repeated for all rows of workbook 1.
2. value Q1 of workbook1 should be copied to B2 in workbook2
3. if value A1 cell is in green color, then value A1::1;; should be add/appended to I2 column in workbook2. Else, append A1::0;; to I2 column of workbook2.
4. if value A2 cell is in green color, then value A2::1;; should be appended to I2 column of workbook2. Else, append A2::0;; to I2 column of workbook2.
5 if value A3 cell is in green color, then value A3::1;; should be appended to I2 column of workbook2. Else, append A3::0;; to I2 column of workbook2.
6. if value A4 cell is in green color, then value A4::1;; should be appended to I2 column of workbook2. Else, append A4::0;; to I2 column of workbook2.
7. Save workbook2 & close workbook2.

Example: for your reference, I2 Column Workbook2 should be like below.
chandu::1;;Shekar::0;;Raju::0;;Gopal::0;;
Venkat::0;;Gopi::1;;Stephen::0;;minda::0;;

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Is the whole cell colored green or only the font colored green? How is the green color applied to the cells? Is it done manually or by conditional formatting?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is the whole cell colored green or only the font colored green? How is the green color applied to the cells? Is it done manually or by conditional formatting?

appreciates for your quick response. manually select a cell of a record & by using fill color feature.

Actually, either way by fill color or font color is fine to me.

Upvote 0
Make sure you manually color the cells green. It's important that you select the proper shade of green whose colorindex=43. Try:
Code:
Sub writetoevv()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim LastRow As Long, rng As Range, val As Range, scrWS As Worksheet, desWB As Workbook
    Set srcws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")
    LastRow = srcws.Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    Set desWB = Workbooks.Add
    For Each rng In srcws.Range("A1:A" & LastRow)
        Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) = rng
        For Each val In srcws.Range("B" & rng.Row & ":E" & rng.Row)
            If val.Interior.ColorIndex = 43 Then
                Cells(Rows.Count, val.Column + 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) = Cells(Rows.Count, val.Column + 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) & val & "::1;;"
            Else
                Cells(Rows.Count, val.Column + 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) = Cells(Rows.Count, val.Column + 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) & val & "::0;;"
            End If
        Next val
    Next rng
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
hi

when i tried, i got "runtime error 91" on this line
LastRow = srcws.Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row

object variable or with block variable not set..

would it be feasible to change it to any color of "fill color".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i myself fixed runtime error 91 by commenting "LastRow" & took static value of 10 to test the macro.

macro is working, how ever not matching with expected result.
macro just pasting ::0;; in C column to F column from 2nd row(record) to 6th row(record).

expected result is 'i2' cell of Workbook2 should contain the value "xddd::1;;ddd::0;;dddd::0;;adal::0;;"

Upvote 0
I think that it would be easier to help and test possible solutions if I could work with your actual file which includes any macros you are currently using. Perhaps you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Include a detailed explanation of what you would like to do using a few examples from your data and referring to specific cells, rows, columns and worksheets. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

Upvote 0
Try:
Code:
Sub writetoevv()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim LastRow As Long, rng As Range, val As Range, scrWS As Worksheet, desWB As Workbook, x As Long: x = 2
    Set srcws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")
    Set desWB = Workbooks.Add
    For Each rng In srcws.Range("A1:A" & LastRow)
        Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) = rng
        For Each val In srcws.Range("B" & rng.Row & ":E" & rng.Row)
            If val.Interior.ColorIndex = 43 Then
                Cells(x, 9) = Cells(x, 9) & val & "::1;;"
            Else
                Cells(x, 9) = Cells(x, 9) & val & "::0;;"
            End If
        Next val
        x = x + 1
    Next rng
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi mumps

i got this output on ith column of new book. it seems it is always going to 'else' part of code & not copying content of cells.
also, Q11111, Q22222,Q33333,Q4444 needs to be copied on B Coloumn in new workbook.

Output on ith Column
::0;;::0;;::0;;::0;;

<colgroup><col style="width:48pt" width="64"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sienna de Souza

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back