Aggregate data from multiple sheets and pull based on value in row and column headers

alexllap

I'm trying to help out a professor who is in charge of keeping track of teaching assignments. He's using a spreadsheet with a sheet that lists all courses and separate sheets depending on the subject. But sometimes he may forget to update the main sheet when a change is made to a particular subject. The main sheet lists each course number on it's own row, and in the next column, the subject. The next three column headers are for the term (AUT, WIN, SPR), and if a particular course is scheduled to teach, there's an instructor name listed. There are then individual sheets for each subject, all having the same column headers as the main sheet, but with only courses in that subject. I've named each table and their respective sheet by the subject, e.g., there's a "BIOL" sheet with the table named "BIOL".

I'm hoping to create a template for him to use so that when a change is made on the subject sheets, the main sheet will automatically update. Here's a visual:
wtLzQzx

ScEX2DI.png

I've tried using a combination of INDEX, MATCH, and INDIRECT, but can't seem to figure it out. I know I could use a VLOOKUP/INDIRECT combination, but I'm trying to better understand INDEX and MATCH, and all the youtube videos I've watched haven't seemed to help. Any help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
With your subject sheets as follows:

Book1
ABCDE
1CourseAreaAUTWINSPR
2100BIOLLizLizLiz
3110BIOLJennaTracey
Biol

Book1
ABCDE
1CourseAreaAUTWINSPR
2101CHEMPete
3105CHEMPete
Chem

Book1
ABCDE
1CourseAreaAUTWINSPR
2146MATHJackKenneth
3147MATHJackKenneth
Math

You can use the following formula on your Main sheet:

Book1
ABCDE
1CourseAreaAUTWINSPR
2100BIOLLizLizLiz
3101CHEMPete
4105CHEMPete
5110BIOLJennaTracey
6146MATHJackKenneth
7147MATHJackKenneth
Main
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2=IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT($B2&"!$C$2:$E$100"),MATCH($A2,INDIRECT($B2&"!$A$2:$A$100"),0),MATCH(C$1,$C$1:$E$1,0)),"")&""

As you mentioned, the VLOOKUP might be slightly easier since you don't have to do an extra MATCH. Let me know if you have any questions.

Upvote 0
I am trying to automate consolidating data from different sheets into a master sheet. The source sheets have same columns size and names but vary in the number of rows. The source sheets also has space between the rows. I am currently using the below formula with indirect function but when I copy the formula to the next row in the master sheet I get the same result as the range within the formula wouldn't change.

=INDEX(INDIRECT("RCSA_"&$E36&"_"&$F36&"!$C$25:$CV$502"),AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(INDIRECT("RCSA_"&$E36&"_"&$F36&"!$AM$25:$AM$502"))-ROW(INDIRECT("RCSA_"&$E36&"_"&$F36&"!$AM$25"))+1)/(INDIRECT("RCSA_"&$E36&"_"&$F36&"!$AM$25:$AM$502")<>""),ROWS(INDIRECT("RCSA_"&$E36&"_"&$F36&"!AM$25:AM25"))),MATCH('Consolidated RCSAs'!I$35,INDIRECT("RCSA_"&$E36&"_"&$F36&"!$C$22:$CV$22"),0))

I have two questions:
1-Is there a better way to automate extraction of data from several sheets into one without using VBA or the above formula
2-What can I do to fix the fixed range problem

Thanks

Upvote 0
I am trying to automate consolidating data from different sheets into a master sheet. The source sheets have same columns size and names but vary in the number of rows. The source sheets also has space between the rows. I am currently using the below formula with indirect function but when I copy the formula to the next row in the master sheet I get the same result as the range within the formula wouldn't change.

=INDEX(INDIRECT("RCSA_"&$E36&"_"&$F36&"!$C$25:$CV$502"),AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(INDIRECT("RCSA_"&$E36&"_"&$F36&"!$AM$25:$AM$502"))-ROW(INDIRECT("RCSA_"&$E36&"_"&$F36&"!$AM$25"))+1)/(INDIRECT("RCSA_"&$E36&"_"&$F36&"!$AM$25:$AM$502")<>""),ROWS(INDIRECT("RCSA_"&$E36&"_"&$F36&"!AM$25:AM25"))),MATCH('Consolidated RCSAs'!I$35,INDIRECT("RCSA_"&$E36&"_"&$F36&"!$C$22:$CV$22"),0))

I have two questions:
1-Is there a better way to automate extraction of data from several sheets into one without using VBA or the above formula
2-What can I do to fix the fixed range problem

Thanks
1) Possibly Power Query, but I don't know enough about that to advise you.
2) The ROWS part of your formula determines which element from the array to choose, and as you said, since it's a string in an INDIRECT, it's fixed and will always give the same value. Instead, use the range from the master sheet where the formula is entered. For example, if your formula is in F5, change the part in red to

ROWS($F$5:$F5)

Upvote 0
Thanks for this solution. This could work but by the time the formula finishes copying it from the first sheet it should jump to copying from the second sheet and I need to reset this counter. Do you have any suggestion for this?

Upvote 0
That's a much trickier problem. My first thought would be to create a work column for each source sheet on your master sheet. Then it's possible to create a formula that concatenates those columns into one column. Hard to say without seeing your layout, or knowing how many sheets you have. You might want to open a new thread so that more eyes will see it, and maybe one of the resident Power Query gurus will chime in.

Upvote 0
To open a thread, click on Forum on the upper left, then select the particular forum you want, probably "Excel Questions", then on the left side, just below the header is a button that says: "+Post New Thread". Follow the prompts from there.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back