Refreshing External Connections In Power Query

Mischief63

I set up external connections to excel workbooks to load data into power query (went fine).

I decide to test the refresh feature by changing some things in the source data.

It won't refresh -ever. Any idea what he problem is. What's the point of having a refresh feature if the connection breaks every time you change the data?

PS I've always used power query to load data, but needed to setup something simpler that co-workers could use. Thought this would be the solution.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
It all depends...
If you change a key value your Query is looking for and then make it unavailable or not seen by the Query, you will break the Query. If you use a File Import, you cannot change the file name or location, unless you utilize a function to provide that input.

I am currently relying on consistency to work with Excel files exported from an ERP system. However, I know I have several chapters in Gil Raviv's book to study to see how to make a Query more robust in dealing with inconsistent columns, sheet names or table names. I prefer TXT as Tab Separated Values.
Have done about 80 Excel files using a folder import.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back