Can I get a PivotTable calculated field that is the difference of two averages?

TomCon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Lets say i have these PovotTable fields. FieldRow, FieldData1 and FieldData2. I put FieldRow in the Row area of the PivotTable, and so data fields will be summarized for each item of FieldRow. I put FieldData1 and FieldData2 in the Data area, and set them to aggregate by Average. I would like the difference between the average of FieldData1 and FieldData2 (separately for each item in FieldRow). Of course this can be done outside of the PivotTable, but it is hard to maintain since the table may change in size.

I tried creating a CalculatedField with definition "FieldData1-FieldData2". Putting this field in the PivotTable DataField area, the numeric results do not change whatever the aggregation function is set to, Sum, Average, Max, etc., they all give the same numeric result. This is rather confusing. Verifying the numbers, what i found is that the result given in the CalculatedField is in fact the difference in the SUM(FieldData1) - SUM(FieldData2).

So, i went back into the CalculatedField designer and defined the CalculatedField as "AVERAGE(FieldData1)-AVERAGE(FieldData2)". This CalculatedField gives exactly the same result as the previous version (without the AVERAGE function in the definition) - in other words it gives the difference of the SUMS, not the difference of the AVERAGEs. And, this new calculated field also has the same behavior in the PivotTable, that whatever its PivotTable aggregation function is set to, MIN, MAX, SUM, AVERAGE...does not effect the result value.

So, the question is, is there a way to create a PivotTable CalculatedField that is the difference between the AVERAGEs of two other data fields? So far i cannot find a way to accomplish this.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCTeacher

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back