Thanks Thanks: 0 Likes Likes: 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cut row to new sheet if text is found within multiple columns

I found out the problem.

The data in columns AE:AM contains various keywords but after the majority of them it contains a semi colon and a number eg Science;13 or Team Building;9.

When I tested your code with the semi colon and number removed it worked. As soon as I added it back it didn't.

I looked to attach a sample doc for you to test but I do not have the appropriate permissions. Apologies.

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike___ View Post
    I looked to attach a sample doc for you to test but I do not have the appropriate permissions. Apologies.
    It isn't a matter of permissions as the forum does not allow attachments. However, you can post small screen shots of your worksheet(s). Follow the 'Look here' link in my signature block below to find out how.
    Hope this helps, good luck.
    Peter
    Excel 365 - Windows 10
    - Want to help your helpers by posting a small, copyable, screen shot directly in your post? Look here
    - If posting vba code, please use Code Tags - like this [code]Paste code here[/code] - or use the # key in the Reply window
    - Read: Forum Rules, Forum Use Guidelines, & FAQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keyword Keyword 2 Keyword 3 Keyword 4 Keyword 5 Keyword 6 Keyword 7 Keyword 8 Keyword 9
    Biomedical research;1 Medical genetics;1 R scripting;1 Unix scripting;1 NGS-tools;2 Next-generation sequencing;2 Bioinformatics;3 Genomics;3 Molecular Diagnostics;9
    Cell Culture;1 Chromatography;1 HPLC;1 Lifesciences;1 Biotechnology;2 GLP;3 PCR;3 Molecular Biology;7 Microbiology;9
    DNA electrophoresis;3 DNA sequencing;3 PCR primer design;3 DNA extraction;4 Genotyping;4 PCR;4 Sequencing;4 Western Blotting;5 Genomics;6
    Diagnostics;2 Life Sciences;2 qPCR;2 Biotechnology;3 Cell Culture;3 Research;3 Genetics;4 Biochemistry;5 Molecular Biology;5
    Biotechnology;1 Cell Culture;1 Clinical Research;1 Immunoassays;1 Infectious Diseases;1 Lifesciences;1 Microbiology;1 Molecular Biology;1 PCR;1
    Infectious Diseases;4 Medical Devices;5 Sequencing;7 Pharmaceutical Industry;8 qPCR;9 Genomics;14 Lifesciences;14 Biotechnology;35 Molecular Biology;45
    Biochemistry;1 Durum Wheat;1 MicroRNA Profiling;1 Molecular Biology;1 Next-generation Sequencing;1 Plant Physiology;1 Scientific Writing;1
    DNA sequencing;1 Epigenetics;1 Lifesciences;1 Prostate Cancer;1 qPCR;2 Genomics;5 Research;7 Genetics;16 Molecular Biology;19
    CMV;1 HPV;1 Herpes;1 Instagram;1 NCBI;1 iPhone;1 iPhoto;1 Multiplex PCR;3 PCR;9
    Genomics;1 Lifesciences;1 Lecturing;3 Proteomics;4 RT-PCR;5 Clinical Research;7 PCR;8 Molecular Biology;15 Cell Culture;21
    Blood Bank;1 Hormones;1 Nanoparticles;1 PLGA;1 Serology;1 Laboratory Skills;3 Biochemistry;4 Microbiology;4 Laboratory Medicine;12
    Agriculture;1 Biotechnology;1 GMP;1 Lifesciences;1 Molecular Biology;1 PCR;1 R&D;1 Six Sigma;1 Validation;1
    qPCR;13 Flow Cytometry;16 PCR;27 Cell Biology;46 Biochemistry;48 Molecular Cloning;56 Cell Culture;59 Western Blotting;74 Molecular Biology;93

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Thanks for the sample data.
    Oops, big mistake on my part, sorry about that. I had two arguments in the Instr function the wrong way around. It should be
    Code:
    If InStr(1, a(i, j), strToFind, 1) > 0 Then
    Peter
    Excel 365 - Windows 10
    - Want to help your helpers by posting a small, copyable, screen shot directly in your post? Look here
    - If posting vba code, please use Code Tags - like this [code]Paste code here[/code] - or use the # key in the Reply window

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your help with this - it now copies across perfectly.

There is one last remaining issue that doesn't quite work as requested. Each time I run a new search it wipes over what has previously been found rather than adding to the sheet 2 results.

Apologies for taking up your time on this - but it is much appreciated.

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

I had assumed that we could tell the last row used in Sheet2 by looking for the bottom of column A. Apparently that is not the case. Try changing this line.

Code:
    With ws2
      lr = .Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=.Cells(1, 1), LookIn:=xlValues, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
              SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchFormat:=False).Row
    End With
    Peter
    Excel 365 - Windows 10

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm I am afraid we are back to nothing copying across again?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)

Assuming you specify the unique beginning text, at minimum, for the keyword you want to search for (for example, "Cell C" for "Cell Culture" would be sufficient although you can type more letters of the keyword if you wish), then does this macro work for you...
    Code:
    Sub Copy_Rows_v2() Dim LastRow1 As Long, LastRow2 As Long, strToFind As String LastRow1 = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find("*", , xlValues, , xlRows, xlPrevious).Row LastRow2 = Sheets("Sheet2").Cells.Find("*", , xlValues, , xlRows, xlPrevious).Row strToFind = InputBox("Enter Keyword to be found") With Sheets("Sheet1").Range("AN2:AN" & LastRow1) .Formula = "=MATCH(""" & strToFind & "*"",Sheet1!AE2:AM2,0)" On Error Resume Next Intersect(Sheets("Sheet1").Columns("AE:AM"), .SpecialCells(xlFormulas, xlNumbers).EntireRow).Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(LastRow2 + 1, "A") On Error GoTo 0 End With Sheets("Sheet1").Columns("AN").Clear End Sub
    Last edited by Rick Rothstein; Jul 26th, 2019 at 05:02 AM.
    Rick's "mini" blog... http://www.excelfox.com/forum/f22/
    Want to post a small screen shot? See Part B here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Rick,

This copies across the results to columns A to I in sheet 2 rather than to AE to AM.
    I need the entire row copied across if keyword is found as there is data in the other columns that needs to move across too.

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike___ View Post
    Hmmm I am afraid we are back to nothing copying across again?
    The only effect of the change in post 16 is to determine what row to paste the data in Sheet2, not what is copied.

Are you sure that you still have the changed line from post 14 & didn't revert to the old version of that code line?
    Last edited by Peter_SSs; Jul 26th, 2019 at 07:44 AM.
    Peter
    Excel 365 - Windows 10

Some videos you may like

User Tag List